Lubricating TRAC pipe in duct.

MikeSharp01

We are installing trac pipe from our utilities centre along a duct and into the house. The TRAC pipe will be in a flexible ducting and will be put in the ducting before it is laid. As part of the process we need to pull the pipe back about 300mm down into the duct, which will then be capped off to allow the slab to be power floated over the duct top seals. We will then need to push it back out again. To make this easier, its is 28mm diameter in a 63mm duct, I / we (includes the gas safe guy I have overseeing the install) want to lubricate the the duct / pipe surfaces and was / were wondering what might be the best lubricant to use that won't harden or evaporate over the couple of days while the slab cures and won't attack the Polyethylene Jacket of the pipe or the lining of the duct over time. I have found a 3M product that looks like it will do it but I wonder if there is any better solution. In reading round the problem I did find that washing up liquid is depreciated in this role as it drys and a can attack some polymers over time (which I find hard to believe as it is so kind to your hands!) Any thoughts anyone?

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

I just use Yellow 77. Screwfix do it.

I looked at that but it specifically says: "Safe to use with most cable types except low-density polyethylene ..." I don't know if the trac pipe sleeving is 'low density' polyethylene (polyethlene it is) but given it is soft it might well be so I had sort of knocked yellow 77 out of my list of possibles.

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Silicone grease.

That looks like it might be a goer. I will get some, thanks Nick.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I looked at that but it specifically says: "Safe to use with most cable types except low-density polyethylene ..." I don't know if the trac pipe sleeving is 'low density' polyethylene (polyethlene it is) but given it is soft it might well be so I had sort of knocked yellow 77 out of my list of possibles.

That looks like it might be a goer. I will get some, thanks Nick.

It's primarily for lubricating soil pipe fittings when connecting up underground stuff so shouldn't impact on that trac pipe at all. 

Gaffa tape the draw rope to the trac pipe first, before even opening the pot, because once you touch that pot, EVERYTHING becomes very very slippery ;)

How long is the run? 28mm is a big pipe. 

Silicon grease is great lightly smeared on any push together electrical fittings like "under bonnet" or "headlight bowl" crimp fittings too. Dip the end of your satellite co-ax in it too before you screw the F connectors on. Stops water tracking up the co-ax and a smear on the thread makes them easier to remove later from the LNB.

13 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

How long is the run? 28mm is a big pipe.

15 M.  The guys at Trac pipe worked out the size needed for me given the boiler, vaillent Eco tec 35 working flat out, with 2 x 90 degree bends and a 15m run so as to keep the pressure drop  within reasonable bounds. I will put the trac pipe into the duct before I Bury the duct so I don't have to pull / push it through and that way I xan check I can move it backwards and forwards as the duct gets covered in pea shingle and then type 1. 

Edited by MikeSharp01

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

15 M.  The guys at Trac pipe worked out the size needed for me given the boiler, vaillent Eco tec 35 working flat out, with 2 x 90 degree bends and a 15m run so as to keep the pressure drop  within reasonable bounds. 

Ah, yes. Just remembered the pipe is corrugated so will have a higher resistance. ;)