13 hours ago, vivienz said:

Peter - out of interest and with the benefit of hindsight, do you think that the solar film is sufficient or would you go for external blinds if the option was available?  I ask because we have a large upstairs window facing almost due south.  Our window company do solar film but it's a rectangular window and so I could use an external blind instead.

I would go for motorised external blinds if they were easy to fit. They would also solve any privacy issues. The film I used reduces the solar gain by around 60% so it is significant but an external blind would be able to stop all solar gain with the option of allowing a certain amount by varying the height of the blind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lizzie said:

I’ve got the sample stuck on the window so will live with it over the weekemd.

Wendy has just reminded me that when I stuck the sample to the window I forgot to peel off the backing, doh! It blew away eventually and I had to recover it and do it properly. Wendy likes to remind me of these little things:).

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, lizzie said:

I’m researching the film......I keep seeing things online that say avoid film if you have triple glazing.  Presumably those of you that have the film have not had any issues with it fitted externally on to triple glazed windows.

The spec on the sample received today only gives info for single and double not triple.

I can't understand that there would be problems with external films on any sort of glazing. If it was an internal film I would only use it on single glazing.

I asked them why the spec. didn't include triple glazing and they said they didn't have any data on triple, probably because it's not that common. The solar gain does reduce a fair bit between single and double so I'm assuming the reduction would be at least 60% for triple.

This is very interesting for me as well.

If I’ve got my PHPP calculations correct (??) then I’m looking at a whopping 35% ‘frequency of overheating’ without blinds, and down to 2% with external blinds. 

I had an estimate from the same people as @lizzie and was stunned at the cost implications. Our planning approval includes folding arm awnings on the south elevation but we’re not sure if we’ll go with these - we will ensure that they (or a brise solei) can be fitted at a later stage however.  

Does anyone have experience of using folding arm awnings to prevent unwanted solar gain?

• Like 1

Back to blinds....I have had another quote supply and fit for the same windows and it is £13k inc vat, £11500 ex vat. They would zero rate on supply and fit as they are not removable.  

This quote is from http://www.tidmarsh.co.uk/  - attached  is the spec that they have quoted on for anyone interested.

Tidmarsh_440_External_Wire_Guided_Tension_System.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They look good, Lizzie, and far less harsh than the security shutter type.  Do they say what the life expectancy of the fabric is and/or what replacement cost would be?

Thanks for the research and the sharing - really helpful.

26 minutes ago, vivienz said:

They look good, Lizzie, and far less harsh than the security shutter type.  Do they say what the life expectancy of the fabric is and/or what replacement cost would be?

Thanks for the research and the sharing - really helpful.

not asked those questions yet........after the previous quote I just wanted to get a starting price.

I need to look at the practicalities of the power supply, it has to be mains powered and all these windows are on larch clad elevations. It could be tricky, my carpenter is still with me so we will see how we could (or could not) route a power supply without causing to many problems.

Ive had a sample of the Window Film through today from SUN-X, had an attempt at sticking it on the outside, and it didn't really go on right, not totally convinced unless I did it wrong. With soap spray before it was blurry to look through, without it was clear but had a bitty texture underneath so didn't look nice. Like I say i probably did it wrong.

16 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Ive had a sample of the Window Film through today from SUN-X, had an attempt at sticking it on the outside, and it didn't really go on right, not totally convinced unless I did it wrong. With soap spray before it was blurry to look through, without it was clear but had a bitty texture underneath so didn't look nice. Like I say i probably did it wrong.

You might be as good at it as I am.

On 02/06/2018 at 08:21, PeterStarck said:

Wendy has just reminded me that when I stuck the sample to the window I forgot to peel off the backing, doh! It blew away eventually and I had to recover it and do it properly. Wendy likes to remind me of these little things:).

15 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Hmmmm mine is stuck up with sellotape I couldnt get it on any other way LOL

Really, Lizzie? You don't strike me as a sellotape kind of lady, not at all!  Get on with those blinds!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lizzie said:

Hmmmm mine is stuck up with sellotape I couldnt get it on any other way LOL

Mine eventually went on fine, when I did it the way Wendy told me to. It was a good reason for me not doing it myself.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Haha 1