Bigger window for the bedroom?

Just now, PeterW said:

Is that south facing ..?

Looks better on the right but... middle panel needs to match the rest ..!

South west.

Do you mean the middle panel to watch the render, like below?

2019382348_biggerwindowrender.thumb.PNG.6e6642dafcb4922fc80ace3f2845d655.PNG

11 minutes ago, ultramods said:

South west.

Do you mean the middle panel to watch the render, like below?

2019382348_biggerwindowrender.thumb.PNG.6e6642dafcb4922fc80ace3f2845d655.PNG

This version works for me. But I hope you're not going to be giving your neighbours too much of an eyefull!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crofter said:

This version works for me. But I hope you're not going to be giving your neighbours too much of an eyefull!

We are planning an 'Amsterdam' theme ;) 

The neighbours for the foreseeable future will be the bats and mice living in the old hall across the road.

32072983_1815675655157973_3362763142827343872_n.thumb.jpg.7f94ac5c839c6f063bb991375b86db57.jpg

Either works for me, the smaller window variant says trad design updated with a degree of modern large aperture glazing and is safer from a resale perspective. Although I am new to the selfbuild scene I already sense that self builders get carried away and incorporate an excess of glazed acreage in their designs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ultramods said:

We are planning an 'Amsterdam' theme ;) 

The neighbours for the foreseeable future will be the bats and mice living in the old hall across the road.

Need a red light above the bedroom window then, but seriously, in 10 years or so will you want the (presumably human by then) neighbours seeing all your 10 year older wrinkly bits? O.o

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Either works for me, the smaller window variant says trad design updated with a degree of modern large aperture glazing 

+1 but if you go for the bigger windows separate with render to match that whole section as per pic 3. And wear boxers when standing to admire the view :)

• Thanks 1

@newhome the hall will be a community hall, so shouldn't be used that often.

I have seen the blinds that you can get that come up from the floor. I am thinking we could have floor and ceiling roller blinds for that window, we can decide exactly how much of the bedroom is visible from the outside at any given time of the day.

• Like 1

Worth checking how high above floor level is the horizontal as you need to consider safety when opening / cleaning.  I don't see that the windows either side of the double height need to match it, but they will probably look better matching each other.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ultramods said:

I have seen the blinds that you can get that come up from the floor. 

I’ve seen those. They are called bottom up blinds IIRC. Could be appropriate for a bedroom ;)

• Haha 1