To Screed or Not To Screed

ultramods

I was thinking about our slab insulation and UFH today. I noticed that our architect specified screed for the UFH. The slab make up is below.

GROUND FLOOR: Ground floor to be constructed of 70mm self-levelling concrete screed incorporating underfloor heating system, on 150mm KOOLTHERM K3 Kingspan insulation, on 125mm thick structural C35 grade concrete slab, to be laid with A252 mesh reinforcement as per engineers details at 50mm bottom cover, poured in equal sections and placed onto 1200 gauge polythene damp proof membrane - DPM to be returned vertically up around edges and lapped with horizontal DPC through wall a minimum of 150mm above ground - on a minimum of 50mm sand blinding and well compacted 150mm layers of Type 1 well graded granular fill.  25mm perimeter insulation to be provided at all external edges of concrete slab. U-Value to be no more than 0.11W/m²K. 

The house will be Timberframe with block+render and granite cladding rain screen.

From reading the various posts on the forum to achieve a better u-value and similar UFH operation for around the same cost of the current slab should I ask to architect to change the spec from 150mm PIR to 200mm PIR and use concrete instead of screed for the UFH pipes?

Also would this spec also be OK for the garage as I would like to have the flexibility of the garage being a habitable space at a later date.

The quotes we have received for the foundations/slab are:

Foundations            
Excavate trenches for foundations, pour        
C20 concrete (no mesh) 11.00 m3 £185.00 £2,035.00
Backfill foundation with suitable material        
and 150mm of type 1 sub base compacted        
in layers (inc garage) 64.00 m3 £30.00 £1,920.00
50mm sand blinding,  Radon DPM and 125mm of C35        
to house sub floor. 1 layer A252 mesh 152.00 m2 £32.00 £4,864.00
150mm Celotex inc 25mm perimeter insulation 101.50 m2 £24.50 £2,486.75
65mm UFH screed     152.00 m2 £26.50 £4,028.00
150mm concrete to garage floor, I layer A252 mesh 37.00 m2 £26.00 £962.00
Backfill around the perimeter of the found        
to accommodate the scaffold 32.00 m3 £26.00 £832.00
Edited by ultramods

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Are they the material costs or including labour costs on the right..??

if so, MoT is £11-14 a tonne delivered bulk and your standard C20 should be no more than £90 dependent on location

That's the complete cost of the completed foundations, so supply and install

Ok - odd that some are cubic and the others are square metres

can you not dispense with the structural slab and screws, make it all slab and put 200mm of insulation and then a 150mm slab over the top ..?

3 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Ah, that's what i was proposing, isn't it?  ?

Not sure..? Thought you were suggesting concrete for the top rather than S&C. 

It it would be bottom up :

150mm MoT

sand blinding

DPM

Insulation

slip membrane

120-150mm concrete with rebar and ufh pipes

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Not sure..? Thought you were suggesting concrete for the top rather than S&C. 

It it would be bottom up :

150mm MoT

sand blinding

DPM

Insulation

slip membrane

120-150mm concrete with rebar and ufh pipes

Yes i was proposing concrete instead of screed as it will be cheaper and dry faster and we will be tiling the floors.

22 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Yes i was proposing concrete instead of screed as it will be cheaper and dry faster and we will be tiling the floors.

Ok so that’s still a big cost and additional complexity that you don’t need. Is this TF..?

Ground bearing structural slab would save you £4K plus the additional cost of excavating less 

3 minutes ago, DreamingTheBuild said:

Thanks for the figures Ultramods, would you mind saying what your footprint is please?

Size 10 ;)

the ground floor is 145 sqm internal floor space and the garage is 36 sqm internal floor space

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ultramods said:

@PeterW when you say ground bearing slab are you meaning having no strip foundations? I have attached the current plans for the foundations.

565-15 Foundation and sections.pdf

Sorry - try this as way of explaination. This is one I did recently that gave insulated ground bearing slab and also a filled cavity below ground which helps for UFH losses. 

B2844294-531E-441B-A1E8-2DD45C49F6AA.jpeg.d843ec5a85d69a41981038153456937a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@Ultramods

I changed my floor makeup at the last minute to save on screed after getting quotes for 6k plus for it, plus the cost of the 150 PIR, plus the drying time etc.

Changed the floor from 100mm c25 with 150mm PIR on top, then ufh pipes, then 70mm screed

to 125 c25 mm with 300mm of eps70 underneath, with my underfloor heating pipes ziptied to the mesh held halfway  in the concrete.

I only needed 230mm of eps to make up the same U Value, but I went with 300mm as it allowed me to get a decent bulk discount on 100mm sheets.

I installed all the ufh pipework and insulation myself over the course of a few days

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

@Ultramods

I changed my floor makeup at the last minute to save on screed after getting quotes for 6k plus for it, plus the cost of the 150 PIR, plus the drying time etc.

Changed the floor from 100mm c25 with 150mm PIR on top, then ufh pipes, then 70mm screed

to 125 c25 mm with 300mm of eps70 underneath, with my underfloor heating pipes ziptied to the mesh held halfway  in the screed.

I only needed 230mm of eps to make up the same U Value, but I went with 300mm as it allowed me to get a decent bulk discount on 100mm sheets.

I installed all the ufh pipework and insulation myself over the course of a few days

Thanks @Tin Soldier. So did you still use screed instead of concrete or is that a typo? What did you use to hold the mesh halfway before the screed/concrete was poured?

13 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

typo, sorry

Concrete meshmen, got them from Travis perkins, cheap as chips

they support at either 40mm or 50mm, dependent on what you need.

if you are using 40mm concrete meshmen then the pipes on top of the mesh is 70mm deep enough, approx 14 mm of concrete on top of the pipes

1 hour ago, ultramods said:

Size 10 ;)

the ground floor is 145 sqm internal floor space and the garage is 36 sqm internal floor space

Just checking the amount of celotex, they quoted for 101 sqm yet your ground floor is 145 sqm. 

On 30/04/2018 at 15:27, ultramods said:

if you are using 40mm concrete meshmen then the pipes on top of the mesh is 70mm deep enough, approx 14 mm of concrete on top of the pipes

No, but you'd be having 120mm concrete not 70mm screed layer ;) 

Im all for the proposed approach by others above, as in ditch the concrete subfloor and have the concrete as your top layer over insulation. The way its proposed in the OP is archaic and id rather have more insulation than concrete in my given floor construction ( and given depth ). 

Yes, do the insulation yourself, but the sand blinding layer need to be spot on flat as that'll leave voids under the insulation otherwise. Id recommend :

MOT1 then whack that flat,

then sand blind,

then 25mm of EPS as a sacrificial layer to protect the DPM,

then DPM,

then insulation,

then light gauge membrane,

then 120mm reinforced concrete floor, ( including mesh and UFH pipes as required ),

then your chosen floor covering including any surface prep required. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

One thing to think about is the quality and flatness of the finished floor. Screed is easier to work flat whereas a concrete pour will need an experienced hand to get it as flat and level as a screed finish. What is the final floor going to be, and what are the tolerances for level? 

• Like 1