Flat roof bodge

Dee

Hi

I have to repair a flat roof over a bay window.... Approx 1960.

The facia is rotten, the ply foof is rotten, the felt is rotten and the top part of the window frame is rotten (crittal window into timber frame) 

What felt can I use that doesn't need torching? 

Talk me through it  someone

DSC_1372.JPG

DSC_1374.JPG

@Dee, I think we all need to be gentle with you on this one.....

First step, look at and find out the size of the job.

A small sharp screw driver and a good deal of prodding (nowhere near wiring). Look at where you get some healthy resistance. That will tell you what needs further detailed examination and what likely doesn't.

A simple list of the rotten (soft) areas posted here will give us clues as to where to point you next.

Friday night is forget-it-go-down-the-pub-night. 

Might be a good thing to do tonight, eh?

@recoveringacademic the pub is exactly where husband is heading.... I however am not! 

Anyhoo, the facia is rotten at the corner, we plan to to replace the whole roof  thing with 1" marine ply 

Can I use shed felt? It only has to last a few years until I replace those cursed crittalls! 

Edited by Dee

Shed felt really only lasts 5 years, and if you are only trying to bogge it up to last a couple of years you can use anything.

Give it a little fall so that there is not a puddle and just use good external ply.

Seal the ply down with a MS Polymer sealant adhesive, most will stick to damp Wood, or glue down with a PU glue then put your felt on.

But you will have to do it properly one day! 

@James H

That's very helpful, I'm actually not very good at bodging but I'm pretty sure the entire bay will have to be replaced soon but until I can fund this I just have to make it dry! 

So just to clarify... The anatomy from inside out is... 

Joists

Ply

Felt 

???