Brands of pipe

Lin

My potential plumber  has quoted to do the lot includeing all the underfloor heating. I asked him what pipe he proposed and he said 'John Guest'.

Any comments about this brand? Or what may be a better option or are they all about the same ? their guarantee is 'only' 25 years. he says it's quality gear. The lay flat video shows that it is very easy to lay ... maybe that is why he is so keen?

Edited by Lin

Pipe is pipe - ask him what manifolds he is planning to use as thats the killer question. 

Most of the newer pipe lays flat anyway -JG is a bit pricey but the off cuts can be used for plumbing afterwards unlike the 16mm standard PEX stuff that needs converters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply Peter

As the pipe cannot be easily replaced once under a screed and will be there for a very long time, it does concern me more.

He will use John Guest manifold

A general builder just across the street from me has just installed JG pipe in his own house for underfloor heating, hes been in the trade for years and really knows his stuff. The house is not a flip he plans to stay for years so I should think he wanted the best for the UFH.

I ended up using JG for heating and water and have had no problems at all.

If I see him over the weekend I'll ask what manifolds he used.

• Like 1

I have went the other way, a cheap manifold with a grundfos pump and branded pipe. Not a big fan on JG speed fit, prefer the old grey hep2o stuff for plumbing, not used either for a few years. We have used 12/16 & 20mm uponor mlcp for our build. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I am going in the opposite direction, cheap ebay Pex  pipe £45 per 100m, after all it’s buried in concrete and is protected, so is very likely to leak.

Likely?

On 05/04/2018 at 23:07, Lin said:

My potential plumber  has quoted to do the lot includeing all the underfloor heating. I asked him what pipe he proposed and he said 'John Guest'.

Any comments about this brand? Or what may be a better option or are they all about the same ? their guarantee is 'only' 25 years. he says it's quality gear. The lay flat video shows that it is very easy to lay ... maybe that is why he is so keen?

What insulation and thickness?

What screed / concrete and thickness?

Heat source?

Hold off choosing the manifold because it's going to be decided by the floor construction and heat source / type ;) ( not by your plumber ) 

9 hours ago, Triassic said:

I am going in the opposite direction, cheap ebay Pex  pipe £45 per 100m, after all it’s buried in concrete and is protected, so is very likely to leak.

Woops, I meant to say unlikely to leak !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hold off choosing the manifold because it's going to be decided by the floor construction and heat source / type ;) ( not by your plumber ) 

Could you expand on this as I need to buy my manifold.

My floor is concrete and the heat source is a thermal store and ASHP. 

13 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

What insulation and thickness?

What screed / concrete and thickness?

Heat source?

75mm PIR (limited headroom)

Prob liquid 45 to 75mm, as current floor is sloping

Gas

On 06/04/2018 at 09:29, Lin said:

Thanks for your reply Peter

As the pipe cannot be easily replaced once under a screed and will be there for a very long time, it does concern me more.

He will use John Guest manifold

There are better and cheaper options ..!

I would go Pert/PEX and the Ivar manifold as per the recommendation from @Nickfromwales or a full set from Wunda Trade 

10 minutes ago, Lin said:

75mm PIR (limited headroom)

Prob liquid 45 to 75mm, as current floor is sloping

Gas

You'll need a buffer tank. 

You'll also need a manifold that does not rely on a cool / cold return to blend the UFH flow temp.  

See my last for the type of manifold you'll need. ;)   

Choose your controls VERY wisely as you'll  need a narrow hysteresis to regulate heat output with a thinner screed / slab, otherwise you'll be going hot / cool / hot / cool.....instead of staying 'warm'. 

I can't see buffer tank on the quote ...how big are they ??

There is something called an automatic bypass, and also manifold and on another page; "install manifold and control system under boiler location" which could mean anything

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

Woops, I meant to say unlikely to leak !!

I have a distrust for pipe because in the past it has had a bad rep as it degraded over time and did leak for some people.

It didn't like getting too hot, also certain metals it did not like .... either copper or iron ... i can't remember now. Nick will know

1 hour ago, Lin said:

I have a distrust for pipe because in the past it has had a bad rep as it degraded over time and did leak for some people.

It didn't like getting too hot, also certain metals it did not like .... either copper or iron ... i can't remember now. Nick will know

I know little or nowt. Mostly nowt, occasionally a bit. Sometimes the bit is relevant to nowt and has little use. 

Apart from that, I'm your man. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I know little or nowt. Mostly nowt, occasionally a bit. Sometimes the bit is relevant to nowt and has little use. 

Apart from that, I'm your go to guy. ;) 

I can vouch for his first statement ....