Strange stain in plaster

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

Help needed please - SWMBO has reported that a strange brown stain has appeared in the newly plastered ceiling. (12.5mm plaster board + skim). It seems to be a long way from any possible point of water ingress.

Any ideas ?

ceil.jpg

Guest Alphonsox

My guess would be a screw or nail as well, but its difficult to see how it's any different to the other screws in the ceiling.

Could well be a duff plasterboard screw, one that missed the corrosion proofing.  I noticed that our guys found the occasional "blind" screw in a strip, where the head hadn't been formed, so there's always the possibility of there being one that missed out on being passivated.

Guest Alphonsox

Thanks for the thoughts - I'll get SWMBO to do some tapping and see if its on a joist - Unfortunately my metal detectors are all in England,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alphonsox

The plasterer was also of the opinion that this was a result of the insulation - I guess its possible that the insulation had dropped at that point come in contact with the plasterboard. I can't say I find this argument particularly convincing the patch is the size of my hand so any oily substance would have had to soak through 12.5mm of plasterboard and 5mm of skim. That would imply a reasonable amount of oil I would think. The mark is on a joist but I am informed the mark is the wrong colour for rust (I haven't been on site recently so haven't seen this for myself.).

The patch hasn't grown any larger and we haven't seen any other marks developing elsewhere. We have covered it with a couple of coats of Screwfix stain sealer and will see if that is the end of the issue.

4 hours ago, daiking said:

Did you sort this?

What's above the plasterboard? cjard (formerly of the last parish?) has posted on GBF about oily knauf wool insulation causing marks like this.

That's a very good point about the insulation.  I used Knauf insulation above the ceiling downstairs and found the occasional stiff bit of what look like black, oily, bitumen, and smelt a bit like it, too.  I've no idea how this stuff gets into a roll, but I can see that if it was left there (I tore the black bits off) then it could cause a stain, and it may well be that the black stuff melts when it gets warm, making it run and drip on to the plasterboard.

I was just intrigued at the time as to where this black stuff came from, because it seemed to be very like tar or bitumen, and I can't see why something like that should be used when making rockwool/fibreglass insulation.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

That's a very good point about the insulation.  I used Knauf insulation above the ceiling downstairs and found the occasional stiff bit of what look like black, oily, bitumen, and smelt a bit like it, too.  I've no idea how this stuff gets into a roll, but I can see that if it was left there (I tore the black bits off) then it could cause a stain, and it may well be that the black stuff melts when it gets warm, making it run and drip on to the plasterboard.

I was just intrigued at the time as to where this black stuff came from, because it seemed to be very like tar or bitumen, and I can't see why something like that should be used when making rockwool/fibreglass insulation.

To paraphrase cjard and I am just repeating from his other place post, he says its used to reduce dust but must congeal/lump in some parts.

Guest Alphonsox

The insulation is Knauf rockwool so this sounds like it may well be the problem. I guess the question now is whether we can expect other patches to appear or whether this will stabilise now its fully exposed.