Garage construction advice needed

Kgthomas

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

In regards to outer cladding type, the reason I said block outer skin is that I found it very hard to get any reasonable insurance cover on a timber building. 

Im talking about tool and contents insurance, not building. 

Ah that is good to know and could ultimately sway the decision on materials. 

I would check with your insurance providers 

we found it near impossible to get cover for any amount over £2000 , unless in a brick built structure if the building was not attached to the house, as our garage is about 10 m from the house this counted as a separate outbuilding so had a maximum payout of £2000 for any claim, 

be careful I don’t think we would be aware of this problem if I hadn’t asked the question regarding some tools I had. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would check with your insurance providers 

we found it near impossible to get cover for any amount over £2000 , unless in a brick built structure if the building was not attached to the house, as our garage is about 10 m from the house this counted as a separate outbuilding so had a maximum payout of £2000 for any claim, 

be careful I don’t think we would be aware of this problem if I hadn’t asked the question regarding some tools I had. 

Yeah to be honest looking at the costings it’s probably as cheap if not cheaper to use blocks. 

45 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about icf blocks, very diy able and some of the quotes I’m getting for my house seem reasonable. 

Insulation and structural strength and security all in one 

you could clad in anything you like. 

Even at a later date if funds are tight. 

Yeah must have a look at icf blocks. I think a house beside me was built with them recently. 

Hi @Kgthomas. It sounds to me from your description that you have a steel portal frame structure and that your steel sheeting acts as the building envelope to keep rain and wind out. traditionally with this form of construction you might wish to span a steel or timber "header support" between the posts and build a blockwork wall of about 1.5m to 2m under it. If you fasten the blockwork wall at the top to the header, and at the sides to the steel columns, you should have a robust wall for your workshop.

140+13352.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

• Thanks 1

I know a lot of commercial buildings are built this way, so must be a cost effective way to build but i don't understand if your going to the cost of a steel frame plus the cost to erect why not just steel clad all the way to the ground, it must be cheaper than block work half way up?

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I know a lot of commercial buildings are built this way, so must be a cost effective way to build but i don't understand if your going to the cost of a steel frame plus the cost to erect why not just steel clad all the way to the ground, it must be cheaper than block work half way up?

I rented a workshop that was built like this; insulated steel cladding down to ground level over a stock steel portal frame (these are off-the-shelf items from agricultural and industrial building suppliers often - worth looking to see if there is a stock size portal you can use - might be cheaper!).

The big problem was there was nowhere to fix shelving etc, even running cable conduit and airline around the inside walls was a pain, because of the wide spacing between the frames.  Having a block wall would have made life a lot simpler, as things could have been put up anywhere.

If you want it to be comfortable to work in, it's worth looking at something like SIPs or ICF.  I have 150mm insulation in the walls of my workshop, and around 200mm in the ceiling, plus some EPS under the slab, and it makes a tremendous difference.  Even with no heating it's not uncomfortable working in there in winter.

• Thanks 1

What is with heated workshops?? You guys must be soft further south ??

My mate uses a similar sized metal shed for a garage as spoken about in thread and has osb lined 2.4m height internally for airlines etc, also gives the steel a bit of protection for being knocked from inside. Not sure how it is fixed though. 

• Thanks 1

My BiL came round tonight after some electrical crimps. His comment as we went into my DOUBLE garage was "You need another garage!" :) Tbh it's more store than workspace though there are two project cars in there.

4" block walls and rendered externally it's not that inviting to work in tbh. Truss rafters in the roof limit what I can store up there. It came with the house so beggars can't be etc.

Being a soft Southerner if I built a garage now I'd put UFH in...and a beer fridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Alexphd1 as @JSHarris said it was more of a practical idea for hanging tool boards on etc. Looking at cost I’ve seen cladding sheets advertised on gumtree for £2 per metre. Don’t know how good it is but if I take my dimensions of 11x8m that is 38m times the 3m height so 114m costing £228 for block I think I will need 1300 at £42+VAT per 100. Therefore £655; I had thought that I wouldn’t need to insulate the inside and the lower cost of cladding would have been eaten up in having to clad the inside. Using the steel framing as my father in law (retired builder) told me an 11m single block wall wouldn’t stand under the weight hence why I’m combining both. He said this based on me not having any internal walls etc to brace the structure.