What is "foot scaffolding".

epsilonGreedy

The Feb 2018 issue of Homebuilding & Renovation describes the build of a generic house broken down into around 150 steps. Under the section titled Foundations/Oversite one of those steps is:

• Arrange foot scaffold if necessary and shutter for any steps in the foundations.

Does "foot scaffolding" create a working edge to the foundations at ground level for workers to stand on as concrete is poured?

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Typo?  Could be "for"

Don't think so because 17 steps later there is a step described:

• First lift of scaffolding required.

My interpretation of foot scaffolding is that it is something that assists earlier during foundation preparation or the concrete pour.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

'Smells' to me like a missing 'path', as in footpath.

I am reassured to find that others are puzzled by the description.

Prior to reading through the 150 steps to building a house I had been contemplating what firming up or reinforcement of the upper edges of trenches could be required in order to prevent soil edges breaking away and dropping into unset concrete. For example how would concrete be tamped down from a crumbling trench edge?

Strip foundations wouldn’t usually be poured right to the top of an excavation,meaning the very top of the dig can be scraped back to prevent lumps falling in. 

+1 to the typo theory. 

Sometimes us brickies get what’s known as a ‘blocking lift’ just below Dpc,normally if the distance from Dpc to ground level is unusually high or if there is a big difference in ground level around the site. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 22:03, bassanclan said:

My extension has got 6ft of blie bricks below dpc owing to the sloping site. When we got near dpc the brick said "we'll need a foot of scaffold" meaning scaffolding so they could work from dpc level upwards

Ah so it is a legit term though rarely used. My site is flat and just a small rise from trenchfill to dpc, just 149 steps to go.