UHF screed vs concrete vs dry mix

BMcN

I am currently trying to do a cost comparison between joisted floor and solid slab.  I am wondering, if I was to switch and go for joisted floors, what sort of heat output difference and efficiency drop would I expect by having a say 150mm PIR/50mm biscuit mix/chipboard vs 150mm concrete/150mm PIR/70mm concrete or 50mm screed.

I also have the fear about never being able to get under the house for maintenance on the solid slab too.

Thanks

I cannot comment on the benefits of different types of floor makeup, as others on here are far more knowledgeable than me. 

What i I will say is how often do you go under your house to maintain it, I certainly can’t get under the one I live in now and I won’t be able to get under the one I’m planning on building this year, so I don’t really get why you are worried about getting under the floor. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I cannot comment on the benefits of different types of floor makeup, as others on here are far more knowledgeable than me. 

What i I will say is how often do you go under your house to maintain it, I certainly can’t get under the one I live in now and I won’t be able to get under the one I’m planning on building this year, so I don’t really get why you are worried about getting under the floor. 

You took the words right out of my mouth Russel Once it’s down It’s down 

11 hours ago, BMcN said:

Well if it is solid the only thing down there will be the 110mm waste pipe, so that is my concern really.

Number of times your current soil pipe has needed digging up and / or maintaining ? ;)

Solid floor for me if it were my own build.  

13 hours ago, BMcN said:

vs 150mm concrete/150mm PIR/70mm concrete or 50mm screed.

Why not 250mm of insulation and 100mm of reinforced concrete over the top of that with the UFH pipes in in? 

A floating floor needs cross ventilation so is inherently flawed IMO. 

Go 25mm sacrificial EPS over sand blinding, then DPC, then 125mm EPS at the bottom and then 100mm or 120mm PIR atop. 

Excellenté!