It's clean now, I gave our TV a shower.....

Not once, but twice. And it still works.

Draining the heating header tank was the easy bit. Refilling it was a little fraught. You see, I didn't know the overflow was blocked. 

Water streamed through the floor and the ceiling below that.  And as luck would have it came through the ceiling just above a fairly nice flat screen TV. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth. TV buggered.

Ah well, excuse for a new one then, eh? A few days later on our way out the door to Curries (to look not buy) I switched it on - one last chance as it were - . It worked. Smiles, jollification all round.

Two weeks later the new (reliable)  Polish plumber drains the system , changes the Grunfos pump, and refills the heating system.

And the telly, and the handsets.  SWMBO didn't even shout at me, or go silent, or any of the other things pissed off partners do.

Two days later, the telly is fine, and so's the handset. The TV is cleaner than it has been for a while now.

As a general rule, if any bit of electrical kit gets a good soaking, as long as it's turned off and unplugged, then allowed to dry out thoroughly before being plugged in again, it will often be OK, unless it has batteries internally, in which case if may well be buggered.

I've rescued small stuff that's been dunked in water by putting it in a bag of rice and leaving it in the airing cupboard before now.  Even better is to wash the thing (with no battery in) in distilled water and then dry it out - that will wash away any residues the mucky water would have left behind.

Stuff with batteries in is the big problem, as unless you can remove the battery very quickly after the incident there's a good chance the damage will be done, just from the current flowing from the battery to the power control circuitry.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Stuff with batteries in is the big problem, as unless you can remove the battery very quickly after the incident there's a good chance the damage will be done, just from the current flowing from the battery to the power control circuitry.

Ya mean like the time I put the iPhone in the washing machine and it came out fizzing manically. Was completely buggered, but luckily insured ;)  

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

I once has the uneviable task or repairing a tv where the cat had sat on top (when tv's were big enough for a cat to sit on, and usually warm as well) and then peed down the back of it.

When our cat was on it's last legs it took to peeing in one spot in the boiler room. Ruined a stack of 15mm copper pipe I had tucked against the wall.