3D printed house anyone?

1 hour ago, newhome said:

It was @SteamyTea who said more should be constructed off site. Well this is press a button on site and watch! Wonder if they get the equivalent of paper jams ...... ;):D

I can rember watching a program about a university in the US

Using a 3 d printer to construct an aircraft 

Marvelous technology 

43 minutes ago, nod said:

I can rember watching a program about a university in the US

Using a 3 d printer to construct an aircraft 

Mavelous technology 

I hope they can develop it for complex medical procedures in the future. 

I read a report on that 3D printed 'charity' house.

It is only the shell.  The rest is manually fitted, including the roof.

I was involved with emergency housing in the early 1980's.

We made a dome mould and the 'house' got sprayed up with PU foam, so just like a hot water cylinder.

Was a step up from a tent, but was just emergency shelter, not long term housing.  Though I do think there is merit in the techniques used.

There is no reason, apart from finance, not to have automated house building.  They are not complicated really, though people like to think they are.

Now where is @StructuralEngineer as he has been working on this sort of thing.

Thanks for the link @newhome. This looks like a more sensible "test case" for 3D printing concrete than I have seen in the past -- i.e. with several human interventions such as lintels over windows -- and sticking to vertical walls only. I wonder whether this is any use though? If the lack of strength in concrete without reinforcement means you can only print vertical walls, it takes the whole point out of 3D printing, which is that you can print forms you wouldn't usually be able to create easily. Speed of construction is slow - you have to wait for each layer to set, and the footprint is small because it's confined to the size of the print bed.

It seems to me that it is only the dreamers that think that 3D printing is the way forwards for the mass market products.

Generally it is very, very slow, limited in size, limited in material choice and expensive.

If you take emergency housing, one thing that is not lacking is labour.  An old mate of mine works for an NGO that deals with the second response to an emergency (Shelterbox).

Part of his job is to show people how to make a working camp (not as simple as just putting up a tent).

They looked at temporary housing that was manufactured off site but think they dropped the idea in the end.

My personal view it that with sheets of ply, 6" by 3" timber, some rendering, windows and doors made off site, an adequate temporary house could be erected quickly and cheaply.

One thing that is easy to forget is that other parts of the world have very different building standards (earthquakes and floods) and what we build in the UK is just not suitable.

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It seems to me that it is only the dreamers that think that 3D printing is the way forwards for the mass market products.

Generally it is very, very slow, limited in size, limited in material choice and expensive.

I tend to agree. I think there are much better potential uses of it such as medical innovation. 

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My bones feel as heavy as concrete and my tendons are more ridged than sintered titanium today.

But I have a new water cylinder in and have managed to have a shower.

Bet my cute neighbour is relieved.:(

Maybe she'll be epilating later getting ready to pay you a visit ;)

On 20/03/2018 at 16:03, Hecateh said:

I think there are already using it for prosthetics in medicine, though - as yet only in a few cases.  Lots of research going on.

They are indeed, in fact the ex-US Ranger bomb disposal guy who is driving much of it (started by printing new limbs for himself) is the best buddy of one of my very good friends.

• Like 1