Time to change the E7 cylinder

SteamyTea

Having eventually got around to organising myself to change the bottom element on my E7 water heater, I have found it is leaking.

So that takes one unknown away.

So are all Vented, E7, DHW cylinders basically the same.

To the best of my measuring, mine is 1.5m high, 0.5m wide and with about 40mm of insulation.

The elements are both on the same side with the feed pipe going in at the bottom and a few degrees anticlockwise, the drain is opposite.

There are some pictures below.

I have been to a couple of websites and they seem to be around the £300 mark.  Is that about right?

I am hoping to just get a direct swap as that will save any mucking about with pipes, but I could, fairly easily, extend the top pipe downwards and re-jig the feed pipe.  would rather not though.  It would give me less heat losses, a slightly cheaper cylinder (though not much) and a larger airing cupboard (which might be useful).

(edit, seems the website does not like .png files)

E7.jpg

E71.jpg

E7 2.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

The hot outlet needs to be horizontal at the very least, but better to have it slightly uphill so an airlock cannot occur. You could down-turn the pipe if you put a bottle vent at the high point I suppose, but for anti-convection you'll need a drop loop of at least 400-450mm. 

Whats wrong with your camera btw? :S

Images should be better, nothing wrong with my camera.

I was more looking for advice on the cost of a direct replacement, going to be easier all round.

So are all cylinders basically the same.

So something like this:

https://www.coppercylinder.co.uk/1500-60-x-450-18-direct-hot-water-cylinder-economy-7-227-18-ex-vat/

would slot in?

The listing shows a technical schematic drawing so just a case of getting the tape measure out tbh. Very few retrospectively upgraded items just 'slot' in so expect to alter a couple of connections maybe. Deffo worth going for the drop loop though. 

The bottom feed pipe seems to be at the same height from the ground, 100mm.

But, the drawing shows it on the other side from mine.  Not sure of that is just to make life easy on the drawing, or it is actually there.

Right a quick call to the geezer at the cylinder place and apparently I can specify where the feed goes in.

So looking from the top downwards and placing my heating elements at 6 'o' clock, my feed goes in at 3 'o' clock.

Does that make sense before I order it?

Edited by SteamyTea
Measure twice, cut once

Don't forger an unvented cylinder has an over pressure and over temperature relief valve and that needs a "D2" pipe to take the water out somewhere, with a specific set of rules on size of pipe, number of bends and distance. So check you can fit that before you order the cylinder. (might be tricky if the cylinder is in the middle of the house for instance)

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Don't forger an unvented cylinder has an over pressure and over temperature relief valve and that needs a "D2" pipe to take the water out somewhere, with a specific set of rules on size of pipe, number of bends and distance. So check you can fit that before you order the cylinder. (might be tricky if the cylinder is in the middle of the house for instance)

He's staying old skool dave ;)

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Right a quick call to the geezer at the cylinder place and apparently I can specify where the feed goes in.

So looking from the top downwards and placing my heating elements at 6 'o' clock, my feed goes in at 3 'o' clock.

Does that make sense before I order it?

Yup. I often put a bend on the feed pipe and run a bit of pipe around to the front, somewhere nearer, so when the immersions are accessible so too is the cold inlet ( and more importantly the drain off cock ) so both are easy to get to. 

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Don't forger an unvented cylinder

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

He's staying old skool dave

Yes I am, no need for anything else in my opinion.

Yup. I often put a bend on the feed pipe and run a bit of pipe around to the front, somewhere nearer, so when the immersions are accessible so too is the cold inlet ( and more importantly the drain off cock ) so both are easy to get to. 

All pretty easy to get too, but had forgotten to specify where the drain cock is (opposite the feed).  Not ordered yet.

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Isn't Trevor Cylinders2go

I shall see what they quote as because of one thing and another, it will not get sorted for a day or two.

I thought you had a string of blonde single neighbours where you 'washed' occasionally

She is away on holiday, so no 'advantage' there at the moment, and she is a redhead that has the decency to dye it blonde.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

All pretty easy to get too, but had forgotten to specify where the drain cock is (opposite the feed).  Not ordered yet.

Ah yes, forgot you can request a tapping for the DOC, as opposed to just soldering one into the tee where the feed goes in.