Help me find a shower

4 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Suspect it is an end of line (but I'm ordering it too.)  Getting most of my stuff from British Bathroom Company, they do lots of Hudson Reid stuff but not this one

Yep. I have all my stuff from them so far. Found at random when they were the lowest price for the towel radiator. There was a delay I seem to remember but their comms & service were spot on.

I found the BB company okay, but it totally defeated them to give me a parcel tracking number that worked. They first gave me just a number, that didn't work. Then they gave me a number with a letter on the end. That didn't work. When the parcel did arrive, the number was correct but with the wrong letter on the end.

It would have been less stressful if they could have got that simple bit of communication correct.

On 02/04/2018 at 21:21, Hecateh said:

Suspect it is an end of line (but I'm ordering it too.)  Getting most of my stuff from British Bathroom Company, they do lots of Hudson Reid stuff but not this one

Shower head arrived, did yours?

Seems really solid and very well finished to me. Weirdly I ordered from Pebble Grey at £39.99 and the invoice with it is from Wayfair for £34.99 + postage.....all in for £41.99. Must check what I actually paid!

20180405_174715

20180405_174730

Yet to decide whether I'll have it on a stalk or flush mount and have a remote control, motorized lowering system for cleaning.

Looks smart - Not ordered yet.  Need to draw down more of my mortgage money before I order anything and at 13% interest I'm not doing that until I have to.  

I'm having mine on a stalk

So I have been quoted £277.50 for a 300 mm rainwater shower head by Abode from city plumbing.  If I buy this instead would I also need to get the mounting arm from hudson reid?  Would all other fittings be compatible?

If they are charging 277.50 

34 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

So I have been quoted £277.50 for a 300 mm rainwater shower head by Abode from city plumbing.  If I buy this instead would I also need to get the mounting arm from hudson reid?  Would all other fittings be compatible?

If they are charging £277 for a showerhead I suspect that all their other prices are ridiculously high too.  

Take a look at http://www.britishbathroomcompany.co.uk/showers/fixed-shower-heads.  I am kitting out 2 shower rooms and a cloakroom for not much more than £1.000 and it is quality stuff.  That's including 3 wall hung toilets and their frames.  The majority of their shower heads - with reputable named manfacturers - are under a hundred with onlly 2 coming in at over 200

To directly answer your question, as far as I know plumbing fittings are generally standard sizes.

Edited by Hecateh
  • Thanks 1

My builder recommended them and one guy has spent a lot of time with me designing the bathrooms  (one main, 2 ensuite and a cloakroom) so I feel a bit obliged to order from them.  But it looks like I can get everything so much cheaper (and a good quality).  The Abode stuff only has a 5 year guarentee but Hudson Reed is 20yr +

44 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

Standard 1/2" BSP fitting in the top with a little removeable gauze filter like in the back of a washing machine.

2018-04-05_08-19-55

This link at random;

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

I might die down a bit of st/st tube myself for mine. 

You don't owe them that kind of loyalty.

At worst - price it up and ask for their comments - you should at least get a decent discount if they think you may go elsewhere.  
To me, them charging so much extra means that they can afford to lose one or two anyway.

How much loyalty would they show you?

My sister, (who has a lot more money than me) is just in the process of paying out 17k for one shower room.  That is for everything and includes fitting but still ridiculous in my view. 

5 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

My sister, (who has a lot more money than me) is just in the process of paying out 17k for one shower room.  That is for everything and includes fitting but still ridiculous in my view. 

You being the poorer sibling! :)

As my parents say "There's A, the barrister, then the younger one who likes playing with wires and metal!"

I wonder who they mean? :)

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You being the poorer sibling! :)

As my parents say "There's A, the barrister, then the younger one who likes playing with wires and metal!"

I wonder who they mean? :)

Worse than that.  5th of 7 - the only one without a degree and 2 millionaires in the family at least - If we count property values they are probably all worth over a million.  

Last one to retire and if the builder adds on much more I'll be going back to work

On 4/5/2018 at 20:30, Hecateh said:

You don't owe them that kind of loyalty.

At worst - price it up and ask for their comments - you should at least get a decent discount if they think you may go elsewhere.  
To me, them charging so much extra means that they can afford to lose one or two anyway.

How much loyalty would they show you?

Good point, I am coming round to your way of thinking....  2 shower rooms and a cloakroom for £1000 is amazing.  Is it all Hudson Reed stuff?  On another thread others recommended Megabad but a bit worried about ordering from Germany in case anything needs to be sent back!  Feel a bit better ordering from Yorshire lol Were they Geberet or Grohe cistern frames?

19 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

Good point, I am coming round to your way of thinking....  2 shower rooms and a cloakroom for £1000 is amazing.  Is it all Hudson Reed stuff?  On another thread others recommended Megabad but a bit worried about ordering from Germany in case anything needs to be sent back!  Feel a bit better ordering from Yorshire lol Were they Geberet or Grohe cistern frames?

There are a variety of frames and I chose on price rather than brand.  I don't think everything I've chosen is Hudson Reid. I chose what I liked at a decent price. Their system makes it easy to just look at Hudson Reid stuff if you want though.  Some of it might be a bit more expensive that my overall price but still much better than what you have been quoted.  
That price is just for basic sanitaryware, not loo roll holders, walls, flooring or that kind of thing,  

Edited by Hecateh
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2018 at 14:03, ProDave said:

Here is something I suspect a lot of people overlook.

The thermal mixer cartridge is quite big. To stand a chance of being able to change it in the future, you need quite a big hole. I drilled one 65mm diameter that is just about big enough.

It's quite tight. Only about 6mm either side for the cover plate to cover, you need to be quite accurate with your drilling. The two black pen marks show where the cover plate covers to.

shower_valve.thumb.jpg.1f97e7abf2a67fe838efecd022f07195.jpg

I wonder how many people just drill a smaller hole like I have done for the top and bottom valves. That would be plenty to fit the cover tubes, but would be impossible to ever remove the thermal mixer cartridge and be "challenging" to later enlarge the hole.

@ProDave, does your "plasterboard" behind mimic the holes in the wall board?

&

Did you eventually join the holes together to make removing the cartridges easier by just taking the face plate off as @CC45 I think it was said?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

There is no plasterboard behind, the "wet wall" panels go straight onto the suds.

No I didn't join the holes, I figured I can do that in situ with the multitool when the need arises.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is no plasterboard behind, the "wet wall" panels go straight onto the suds.

No I didn't join the holes, I figured I can do that in situ with the multitool when the need arises.

Ta. Just being pedantic! :) Nah, trying to make as neat as possible!

I make it:

- 17mm long socket for the diverters

- 1" socket for the cartridges

- 52mm socket for the central flow control. Think 46 is the biggest I have...

I doubt you would get a socket big enough for the central thermostatic cartridge and if you did, it's outside diameter would probably make the hole needed larger than the faceplate.

Instead you would need a box spanner, or more likely a home made tool fashioned from a bit of steel tube with 4 "screwdriver fingers" to engage with the 4 slots around the cartridge.

If ever it needs changing, I will be asking on the forum if anyone has a suitable tool, and if not, making one.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I doubt you would get a socket big enough for the central thermostatic cartridge and if you did, it's outside diameter would probably make the hole needed larger than the faceplate.

Instead you would need a box spanner, or more likely a home made tool fashioned from a bit of steel tube with 4 "screwdriver fingers" to engage with the 4 slots around the cartridge.

If ever it needs changing, I will be asking on the forum if anyone has a suitable tool, and if not, making one.

I think this will fit:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Wheel-Bearing-Special-Hub-Nut-Box-Spanner-DEFENDER-DISCOVERY-606435-/130750239660?

7 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I did cut mine out - if I ever need to do it then I'd rather just take the face plate off and not have to start cutting etc.  Hopefully it will never need doing!

Got a picture?