weather damage

Has anyone suffered any damage from the snow?

I have not been able to get to ours since Wednesday due to snow.  I am reading of people locally who have had water coming through the ceiling and thinking burst pipe only to find it is roof full of snow driven in by the wind.

We have essentially 2 roofs on ours, the flat deck on the timber frame topped with our own shaped roof trusses forming our sloping roof all topped off with rubber. Great watertight etc but I have just realised that our soffits are not complete and parts of the underside is open to elements. Given the way the wind has blown the snow around its entirely possible for snow to have blown in under the open areas and be in the void between the two roofs on top of the deck.  All that deck consists of is OSB on top of the pumped insulation then vapour barrier and plasterboard.............this is stretching imagination and creating worries (hope all unfounded)......... if snow got in and melted and came through OSB into insulation etc how on earth would we ever dry it out. Replacing ceilings one thing but......oh I just dont wat to think about it!

I am already very worried about the place due to badly leaking windows but now have this hypothetical worry to add. May be Monday before we can get there and I am dreading it. Pictures of nearby lanes have 8ft high snow drifts.......our cladding is not 100% complete on the eastern side either...........just too stressful!

5am Just about to set off upto the house for a days plasterboarding 

My hearts in my mouth each time I go up We are surrounded by trees and with gale force winds I exspect one to be on the house each time I go up 

As already stated It’s easy to think the worse 

More likelikely everything will be as you left it 

Like ours ⛄️ 

• Thanks 1

@lizzie, I am writing this from my flea-pit : I can see our build from here. And I worry - mostly needlessly - sometimes not. How close you are to the build makes no difference. You never stop worrying. Here, you are in good company

The worry level is close to that felt when in order to get to sleep you need to hear the ever-so-soft click of the front door when the current teenager returns at an amusingly early hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all somehow comforting to know I am not alone in my worries......understand exactly what you mean about that click of fhe door........

Very slow thaw starting here (we had more snow overnight) and now fog has come. Not sure we will be able to get down to ours....not on a road and local fb pictures from nearby are still showing 8ft drifts firmly in place in the lanes around.

.........I almost dont want to go, too scared........good luck everyone I hope all will find everything well.....keeps us posted.

@lizzie

Fingers crossed it will all be ok.

I had the same anxiety in the autumn when it was so wet & no windows or roof covering.

I have found the house to be remarkably resilient.

As you say it is the underside of the soffits that are not complete.

Even if the snow was blowing horizontly it should have just hit the side of the building & you have really deep fascias.

I know snow has blown into the cavities where our stonework is not finished and underneath the slates where the sides of the roof are not finished, waiting for the render to be completed.

I am just hoping that we get a dry spell with a bit of a breeze to dry it all out soon.

It is not being able to get to it to have a look that is really stressful and easy to imagine all sorts of things. 
Please try not to worry.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

The worry level is close to that felt when in order to get to sleep you need to hear the ever-so-soft click of the front door when the current teenager returns at an amusingly early hour.

nope, seldom hear it!:)

Made it there and happy to report house itself stood up pretty well. Unclad walls are wet (blue paper feels wet and battens are saturated) and lots of water in from leaking window thresholds but apart from that house itself seems good.

Not so in garage many hundreds of £’s of expensive gyproc habito plasterboard, ply soffits for garage, bags of cement etc all saturated and unlikely to be fit for anything but skip but if thats the worst after the few days we have had then I wil take that.

Phew ...sleep tonight I hope!

Fingers crossed for everyone else.

Hi Lizzie,

Good news.

Hopefully the damaged materials in the garage will be covered by your site insurance.

Just checked mine.

Some water ingress from the small shower room velux.

It may even have been some condensation that had frozen & has just thawed as not much.

The dehumidifier was completely iced up on the back.

@Moira Niedzwiecka so glad to hear all is well. I had a couple of beads of moisture in one of the sun pipes I thought must be condensation with it being so cold outside. Fingers crossed yours is condensation.

Our house is so warm I am amazed, ufh only in for short period overnight and house is holding at about 21 without MVHR. Hopefully when you get some heat you can do away with dehumdifier.

Not thought about site insurance! Thank you must be at least £500 of plasterboard without the other stuff.