KNX Self-Install?

Hi,

One of the nice to have items in the house I'm hoping to build is some level of automation. I've been looking at KNX and grasp the theory but I don't have an electrical background. Online forums I've found are all in German and there doesn't appear to be a local user group that could assist with basic questions. I have found a very knowledgeable professional but they are looking for low 5 figures to implement. Has anyone done KNX here and is it difficult? Should I buy a few devices and get to grips with it myself or would it be easier & cheaper in the long run to let the Professionals in and do it, budget allowing? 

Main goals (Wish List):

• Lighting Controls (I don't need dimming), some using switches, some with presence detection (toilets etc)
  • Security integration with CCTV (Driving POE IP Cameras with PIRs), Smoke CO2 detection etc (ability to cut MHRV in the event of a fire)
  • Audio - to warn off trespassers in the back garden, provide internal alerts etc
  • MHRV / ASHP integration with temperature sensors
  • Data logging for Solar PV, air quality, temperature etc
  • Understanding of the wiring involved to answer questions an electrician will undoubtedly ask
  • Visualization on a tablet / smartphone & remote access nice to have but not a requirement

Any advice? Thanks!

I installed a Loxone system with the help of my electrician (an ex-Nokia electronics engineer), and that was probably of similar complexity to KNX.  Loxone is arguably a little simpler to install and program than a full KNX system.  We managed, but I think I'd have struggled by myself (my education includes an electronics degree, but that's quite a while ago!) 

Realistically, I think you'll struggle to handle the level of automation you plan without professional help given your lack of technical background.  From what I understand about KNX, it'll also be very expensive to get all the gear to do what you want to do (it may not even be possible).

On the MVHR/ASHP, check what sort of interface the manufacturers supply.  Annoyingly, many of them run proprietary Modbus-type protocols that require you to buy their controllers (which in turn aren't that easy to integrate with a home automation system).  Often you can access basic functionality with volt-free contacts - I plan to control my MVHR fan speed using this option.

Have a look at Loxone as well.  I've been pretty happy with them, although the way they do one or things can make the installation seem expensive (your choice of not including dimming will have a big impact - dimming via Loxone is expensive!)  As with all home automation, you're placing yourself at the whim of the manufacturer unless you use an open-source model like Openhab (and they tend to be more complicated and often a lot uglier and less user-friendly to program and use).

I'm far from being an expect, but please feel free to contact me offline if you want a chat.

there is also the added expense of being able to actually program our KNX system.  Form what i remember you have to buy a software type package that is pretty steep in order to get your equipment to do what you want it to.

If it were me id try my hand at something like openhab or even just a simple Zwave system like vera could do most of what you are looking for.

They also have larger communities to ask for help.

Just to add on the dimming with loxone. They have just launched a dali control which means they can use Dali transformers on the dimmers - provided you are doing enough circuits to warrant the cost of the Dali extension at the best part of £400.

6 hours ago, mike2016 said:

Main goals (Wish List):

• Lighting Controls (I don't need dimming), some using switches, some with presence detection (toilets etc)
  • Security integration with CCTV (Driving POE IP Cameras with PIRs), Smoke CO2 detection etc (ability to cut MHRV in the event of a fire)
  • Audio - to warn off trespassers in the back garden, provide internal alerts etc
  • MHRV / ASHP integration with temperature sensors
  • Data logging for Solar PV, air quality, temperature etc
  • Understanding of the wiring involved to answer questions an electrician will undoubtedly ask
  • Visualization on a tablet / smartphone & remote access nice to have but not a requirement

Is it not worth thinking about each item separately and treating them as such.

• Lighting Controls (I don't need dimming), some using switches, some with presence detection (toilets etc) That is really easy, just get a cheap outside light sensor and put it in a nicer box.
  • Security integration with CCTV (Driving POE IP Cameras with PIRs), Smoke CO2 detection etc (ability to cut MHRV in the event of a fire) There are some systems designed for the DIYer already that do all that.  A simple thermostat in the MVHR can be used to shut it down.
  • Audio - to warn off trespassers in the back garden, provide internal alerts etc Easy to DIY again.
  • MHRV / ASHP integration with temperature sensors,  They tend to work in different ways, at different times and for different reasons.
  • Data logging for Solar PV, air quality, temperature etc.  Most inverters have that built in already.  The rest can be done with a weather station.
  • Visualization on a tablet / smartphone & remote access nice to have but not a requirement.  Again freely available via the Linux community.

I used to collect a lot of data, it was helpful at first, but now I have stopped logging as it was just another chore to do.

• Like 1