Gus Potter Posted 14 hours ago Posted 14 hours ago 5 minutes ago, flanagaj said: So apparently, it's 60mm box section welded at 600 centres, to join tHe two sections together. I'll of course get her to provide a drawing. Ok. If you fancy let us see the drawing (include the weathering detail if possible) and a few photographs of what's been built so far. What's the beam span and confirm the loads if you can. Has your SE provided calculations? 1
flanagaj Posted 14 hours ago Author Posted 14 hours ago 2 minutes ago, Gus Potter said: Ok. If you fancy let us see the drawing (include the weathering detail if possible) and a few photographs of what's been built so far. What's the beam span and confirm the loads if you can. Has your SE provided calculations? The SE basically provided a lintel schedule for all openings. I have just ordered lintels as per her spec. Builder has installed dpc cavity trays and weep vents according to building regs. I will ask her for calculations. I submitted the lintel schedule to BC and I didn't even receive an acknowledgement. I don't think they have actually looked at a single spec that they have been sent.
Gus Potter Posted 14 hours ago Posted 14 hours ago 11 minutes ago, flanagaj said: I don't think they have actually looked at a single spec that they have been sent. This may well be the case. The English BC system can be much less rigorous then the Scottish system for example. But in all cases BC are not their to check or take liability for calculations for example. Their role is to exercise reasonable skill and care to determine if your submissions generally appear to be sufficient to meet the regs in the round. If you read the fine print of BC approval you'll find that the real liability rests with you and your appointed designers. If you miss something then BC are pretty much off the hook. @saveasteading has written at length about this in the past. I've suggested you post some info, photographs etc. It's up to your how much you want to explore. I'm curious as to how the box section is going to be buildable, the orientation for example and how it works. 1
flanagaj Posted 14 hours ago Author Posted 14 hours ago 3 minutes ago, Gus Potter said: This may well be the case. The English BC system can be much less rigorous then the Scottish system for example. But in all cases BC are not their to check or take liability for calculations for example. Their role is to exercise reasonable skill and care to determine if your submissions generally appear to be sufficient to meet the regs in the round. If you read the fine print of BC approval you'll find that the real liability rests with you and your appointed designers. If you miss something then BC are pretty much off the hook. @saveasteading has written at length about this in the past. I've suggested you post some info, photographs etc. It's up to your how much you want to explore. I'm curious as to how the box section is going to be buildable, the orientation for example and how it works. I will post some images tomorrow. But thanks for showing an interest. Ideally, I expect SE to be totally responsible for all calcs and drawings. I'm just the end client who knows nothing about that discipline.
saveasteading Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago 2 hours ago, flanagaj said: expect SE to be totally responsible for all calcs and drawings. That depends what you've asked for and they have offered. E.g there is a big difference if you ask simply what size of lintel or please visit site and design the lintel and draw up all working details with specification, as this may well be carried out by a highly competent contractor. Did you find out their stated qualifications. I'm not especially doubting it but interested.
flanagaj Posted 2 hours ago Author Posted 2 hours ago 9 hours ago, saveasteading said: That depends what you've asked for and they have offered. E.g there is a big difference if you ask simply what size of lintel or please visit site and design the lintel and draw up all working details with specification, as this may well be carried out by a highly competent contractor. Did you find out their stated qualifications. I'm not especially doubting it but interested. She is a registered Civil Engineer and her details are on the register. I was very clear in the brief as to what I wanted. All of my woes stem from using a cheap Architectural Designer, who was solely focussed on building reg drawings. If doing this again, I'd pay a good architect who handles the liaison with the SE and ensures that all of this is done up front. 1
saveasteading Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 1 hour ago, flanagaj said: registered Civil Engineer Not "chartered"? I'm one of them. MICE or FICE. And CEng comes with it. 4 years uni and 4 years min real world training. I'd never use the word 'registered'. A huge element of gaining that professional status is communication and collaboration. That's why it seems strange to me that you say that is lacking. It's possible they are a technician rather than Chartered. Nothing wrong with that, but their experience may be limited, as may be their insurance. Unfortunately the term civil engineer is not protected, as witness the white vans. 1 hour ago, flanagaj said: doing this again, I'd pay a good architect who handles the liaison But would you? Probably 3 or 4 x the cost at minimum brief. It's all learning. Glad to hear it's moving along.
carlos21 Posted 34 minutes ago Posted 34 minutes ago Id reach out to a local metal fabricator who deals in this sort of thing, i know it will be adding another opinion, but they will most likley be fabricating and fitting these kind of details on a weekly basis. Onsite welding can tricky to acheive consistent results, bolted connections are often easier to retrofit.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now