Kerb edging

Pocster

Hey all

Got some of these little blighties to fit 

I assume they need cement in between and not touching each other .

Whats the best way to do this ? I’m assuming any cement on the face will stain and look a bloody mess ?

Could masking tape each block - but that can’t be right can it ? ?

Cement inbetween as I lay or point afterwards with cement ????

cheers 

The chap that laid our dark grey, narrow, kerbs just bedded them down on mortar and then haunched them behind with concrete, leaving even gaps that were partially filled at the base and rear by the mortar bed and the haunching.  The next day they were dry pointed to fill the joints, a bit as you would with patio stone.  The pointing mix was very slightly damp, and pushed hard into every joint and then brushed clean.  Using a relatively dry pointing mix reduces the risk of staining.

15 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The chap that laid our dark grey, narrow, kerbs just bedded them down on mortar and then haunched them behind with concrete, leaving even gaps that were partially filled at the base and rear by the mortar bed and the haunching.  The next day they were dry pointed to fill the joints, a bit as you would with patio stone.  The pointing mix was very slightly damp, and pushed hard into every joint and then brushed clean.  Using a relatively dry pointing mix reduces the risk of staining.

Thanks 

What would the dry mix consist of ??

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Thanks 

What would the dry mix consist of ??

Not sure, TBH.  It was a cement rich mix, I know that much, with a fine sand and a touch of dye to better match the dark grey kerbs.  One of the brickies here will almost certainly know far more than me about it, I just watched a chap doing it.

• Like 1

My only comment is to make sure you take care of your back.

LIft 'em and lay 'em correctly even if takes an extra day or two.

In addition to @Nickfromwales my maintenance man is going to be looking for an altered career soon as he did an injury being heroic at a road accident decades ago, and every time he does something wrong lifting-wise it tears the old injury. He has lost a month in the last 4

Take care if yourself.

Ferdinand