LED Lights for Shower Pocket?

MAB

I am about to start tiling my new ensuite walk in shower and would like to add 2 or 3 small LED lights to the top face of a small tiled pocket/wall recess (somewhere to put shampoo bottles, etc).

The lights are to be a feature rather than a main light source so I was thinking something similar to the small kitchen plinth/kick board led lights or those used for patio deck lights.

However most I have found don't seem to be recommended for wet areas like showers......any suggestions or recommendations of suitable lights or suppliers welcomed.

Zone 1 requirement is IP45, but IP65 is more common and readily available.

I used SLV throughout my house, though not downlighters - not the cheapest but impressed with the quality. https://www.slv.com/en-de/products/luminaires/recessed-fittings.html#

Also might be worth considering a 12 or 24v system and place the transformer outside the shower zone.

• Thanks 1

IMG_6803.thumb.JPG.0e50ca3bb903a7cc6c97e6589ed0b8cd.JPGIMG_6804.thumb.JPG.ef8451dcd82cc476e297c498070e0869.JPG

These were decking lights. 20mm hole and 25mm bezel. A single 10w ceiling ( shower rated ) spot behind the middle of the bath mounted 100mm off the floor provides 'betting ambient' lighting. 

The annoyance was the decking lights couldn't be found in true warm white to match everything else, but the pocket lights and the bath spot weren't ever going to be on at the same time so no real worry. 

I'll link to them later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MAB said:

Many thanks for the replies.

Nick those 25mm pocket lights look like exactly what I am looking for, I would appreciate if you could post a link to them.

Martin

I'm 99% sure it's these ones but the exact ones we fitted came from a swansea supplier via the electrician. Annoyingly that seller above has a listing with options of cool or warm white. Bugger. 

Id check first but great if they offer both :) 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

IMG_6803.thumb.JPG.0e50ca3bb903a7cc6c97e6589ed0b8cd.JPGIMG_6804.thumb.JPG.ef8451dcd82cc476e297c498070e0869.JPG

These were decking lights. 20mm hole and 25mm bezel. A single 10w ceiling ( shower rated ) spot behind the middle of the bath mounted 100mm off the floor provides 'betting ambient' lighting. 

The annoyance was the decking lights couldn't be found in true warm white to match everything else, but the pocket lights and the bath spot weren't ever going to be on at the same time so no real worry. 

I'll link to them later. 

@Nickfromwales Very much like the backlight to the bath. Is it easily accessible if/when it expires ??

2 minutes ago, RichS said:

@Nickfromwales Very much like the backlight to the bath. Is it easily accessible if/when it expires ??

That bath is curved so just over 300mm between the bath and the spot. ;)  A couple of yoga lessons and a few less pies and it's an easy change. Just leave a good 1000mm of slack on the cable so you can pull it away from the bath to change it. 

Bearing in mind we fitted top quality units with 50,000 hours lamp life :)

The ceiling spots and the bath spot were both on dimmers. The mirror lights and pocket lights just on switches. 

Excellent control over the 'mood' lighting and sets the room apart from others with such simple forethought. 

Under the vanity was a 600mm led strip light and a PIR facing the door / bath. When getting up for a nighttime pee they just walk in and the floor gets nicely back lit for 4-5 mins then goes off on a timer. That feature is controlled by a photocell on the outside wall so it doesn't come on during daylight hours. 

There is also a mirror demister which is controlled by a thermistor on the 22mm hot feed to that bathroom. If hot water is drawn via any outlet the mirror demister comes on. It stays on until the 22mm pipe cools right down, just enough to cover it for a long bath. 

33 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The ceiling spots and the bath spot were both on dimmers. The mirror lights and pocket lights just on switches. 

Excellent control over the 'mood' lighting and sets the room apart from others with such simple forethought. 

Under the vanity was a 600mm led strip light and a PIR facing the door / bath. When getting up for a nighttime pee they just walk in and the floor gets nicely back lit for 4-5 mins then goes off on a timer. That feature is controlled by a photocell on the outside wall so it doesn't come on during daylight hours. 

There is also a mirror demister which is controlled by a thermistor on the 22mm hot feed to that bathroom. If hot water is drawn via any outlet the mirror demister comes on. It stays on until the 22mm pipe cools right down, just enough to cover it for a long bath. 

Was that that "module" I found for the demister?

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. ? 

Many hands make light work, literally :D

I'm going to steal that idea back for mine!

I've 15mm drops in copper for the sink and bath (same pipe split to each). Shower will be a separate run from the pump.