New entrance over council Verge

Anyone had any experience of crossing council owned verge to access the road?

I have planning permission to build a house and make an entrance onto the road but this will mean crossing over the verge-approx 1 metre deep by  8m long.

I have emailed the council for advice but no response yet.

Any ideas of the best way to get things moving?

Thanks

Matt

I will be having a new vehicular access opened up for our new build, and this will be from the lane and over a grass verge.  I'm waiting for the council to get back to me, too, as I can only find information on applying for a dropped kerb, which isn't the same thing at all.  The other thing that you may find is that the entrance is more expensive to open up than you think, as the Highways Dept of your LA will dictate how it should be made and what sort of surface it needs, etc.  I'd get on the phone to them and keep ringing until you get an answer - I've found it to be a successful method.

We have just had a new vehicle crossover added to our bungalow to give an additional entrance.  This crosses the pavement and about 1 metre of grass.  Was easy to do.  Initially applied to county council highways department to confirm that would conform to their acces requirements etc. cost about £95 for that.  Then needed to confirm local council planning was not required.  Then paid county council to provide list of authorised contractors and works details to quote on, additional approx £150.  From list of 12 contractors had to agree price with one of them, pay the council, contractor did work, council signed off on work.  Went for cheapest £1648 or there abouts, as council was overseeing.

Initial application was online.

Edited by Jml

31 minutes ago, vivienz said:

I will be having a new vehicular access opened up for our new build, and this will be from the lane and over a grass verge.  I'm waiting for the council to get back to me, too, as I can only find information on applying for a dropped kerb, which isn't the same thing at all.  The other thing that you may find is that the entrance is more expensive to open up than you think, as the Highways Dept of your LA will dictate how it should be made and what sort of surface it needs, etc.  I'd get on the phone to them and keep ringing until you get an answer - I've found it to be a successful method.

Vehicle crossover, is the terminology our coucil use, essentially they drop the kerb, sort the pavement out and any coucil verge, in our case tarmac it, to form a new entrance. For our costs see post above.

New vehicle entrance to our site is over a grass verge belonging to the local farming estate.

However, even though the Estate owns the verge County Council Highways have adopted it.

We did a highways search to confirm this.

Highways still refer to this as a dropped kerb.

I had to apply for a licence to work in the highway.

Their engineers specified what the construction , including the width & angles & the edging had to be.

They sent a quote for the work but indicated that I could use my own contractor if preferred.

I had to supply a copy of the public liability insurance (min £2million) from my contractors.

They will come & inspect the work before it is completed.

I have just extended the licence again for another 6 months as way behind on the build.

It is not worth doing the access until all of the heavy construction traffic has ceased.

• Like 1

+1 to what Moira says.  I had a call from the council highways chap this morning confirming all exactly as she says above.  The licence itself isn't very expensive at £267, but that's just the start before the actual work is done.  The spec is all detailed in the licence, apparently, and the licence can only be applied for by whoever you have engaged as the contractor.

23 hours ago, matt-shrops said:

Anyone had any experience of crossing council owned verge to access the road?

If the council (or anyone else) really "owns" the verge then you need to check where the highway boundary is.

If the highway comes right up to your property boundary then it's usually no problem to get access and a dropped kerb installed. However if there is a ransom strip owned by the council (or third party) between your boundary and the highway boundary then watch out.