Epsom Salts

Onoff

I know she's turning into her mother but tonight SWMBO informs me she's bought some Epsom Salts! "WTF?" I asked. Apparently because "They're good for you!"

(She has I think a hernia which she's convinced isn't and wants a soak in the bath which I can appreciate).

BUT...in the back of my mind something's telling me these salts will not be good for the spa bath and rot the jets & pump. I really don't want to knacker it before we've even run it. Possibly it'll be even worse as the pump isn't yet running and the stuff might sit in there and not get washed through.

@Nickfromwales, one for you mate!

???

Edited by Onoff

Epsom salts are magnesium - we are generally short of magnesium in our bodies because of intensive farming.  I have no idea what they will do to your system but they are not sodium chloride based.  

If you decide against it there are other ways of getting the physical benefits ( Magnesium glycinate and/pr magnesium malate capsules/

Another thought that has come to mind - salts are used to soften water so shouldn't they be positive rather than negative to your system

21 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Epsom salts are magnesium - we are generally short of magnesium in our bodies because of intensive farming.  I have no idea what they will do to your system but they are not sodium chloride based.  

If you decide against it there are other ways of getting the physical benefits ( Magnesium glycinate and/pr magnesium malate capsules/

Another thought that has come to mind - salts are used to soften water so shouldn't they be positive rather than negative to your system

Pretty sure water softening salts are sodium chloride and used to remove maganese, iron, calcium etc that make water "hard"

?

Epsom salts are Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4), are, as has already been said totally soluble in water at any practical concentration, inoffensive to your bath and easily removed by flushing with more fresh water.