inset door mat

lizzie

Some of you may recall my slab was out by quite a lot and we had to level it...well floor layer said levelling was impossible he could just do his best to make it flat!

That all worked out eventually without too many major traumas  - there were a few - we used over 140 bags of levelling compound in the end and god knows how much extra tile adhesive. That was selective too not just pouring leveller over the whole (180sqm) floor.

Whole floor is now done (except bathrooms) and one problem area remains, that has only now become apparent when we have started tiling the utility room floor.  We have Internorm low threshold back door.  There is not enough space to get a tile up to the threshold and be able to open the door.  It would appear we have a slightly raised bit of floor slab around there, just a few mm but thats enough to cause the problem and trying to level this down now after having to hack out the slab to re site all our drainage and level up the dips its just too much we have lost the will to live with this wretched floor.

Suggestion from tiler is a matwell.  I need something that will sit lower than the tiles  otherwise the door won't open but I dont want a trip hazzard with trim.

Any suggestion for smart solutions?

I have used a surface scaler in the past from HSS and that will take your floor down. Use in conjunction with extraction unit and will keep the dust down, £164.00 + vat per day. Took me best part of 4 hours to grade 4 sq m from 8mm to nothing.

3 hours ago, lizzie said:

Thanks but they all seem reluctant to do anything like this as its very, very close to the door threshold and edge of slab.

Tell them to grow a pair and get on with grinding the floor. Use hardboard to make up stands and to protect any delicate areas, then just crack on. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Tell them to grow a pair and get on with grinding the floor. Use hardboard to make up stands and to protect any delicate areas, then just crack on. 

What Nick said. You can get quite close with the scaler and finish with the planer,depends on how much you need to remove and over what area you need to cover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliG said:

Is this what you need for a small tight area, concrete planer.

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/concrete-planer-with-blade

Ive got one similar to this.

On a small area like the one we are talking about, this will be pretty quick. Like Nick said, protect the vunerable stuff.

• Like 1