planning rules - matching windows

Joss

I am struggling a bit with planning language:

The planning permission says that 'The materials to be used in the construction of the external surfaces of the development hereby permitted shall match those used on the existing building.'

Hopefully someone can clarify what this actually means on our build, particularly regarding the windows.

I am planning a loft conversion over a 1970's extension, at the rear of a 1930's bungalow, with a variety of windows of different styles and ages, and replaced at different times, but currently all with upvc double glazing.

So, for the new windows, can I choose any upvc window to 'match' with the existing unmatched windows? For example, could I choose some with a slimmer frame?

Another question I have is that if I were to replace the rear facing windows (they are particularly poor quality) with a different material eg alu clad timber, (allowed under permitted development) would I still need to use upvc for the new ones as specified, or would I be able to match with the new ones? Or would I have to go back to the planner and ask?

Do the planners come to check what you have used, or do they rely on building control for this, or do they get involved only if someone reports a problem to them? 

1 hour ago, Joss said:

Do the planners come to check what you have used, or do they rely on building control for this, or do they get involved only if someone reports a problem to them? 

Cannot speak for all planners, but in our area they worked from their offices and did not venture to our site - either pre-planning or after (AFAIK - they could well have turned up when no one was around).

We did get a complaint alleging breach of one planning condition, however this was resolved with a brief exchange of emails.

Regarding windows, unless it is a conservation area you can do your own thing. Have they requested samples of materials prior to construction commencement?  If not, as long as the walls and roof are similar to the existing house you will be fine.

Thanks for your replies.

The plans show  'White upvc doors and windows to match existing'. I haven't specified a particular profile, frame width or anything like that, not that I know about anyway. I will check. { I didn't know of other options when the plans were being drawn up).

No samples were required.

So I don't think I'll worry too much about trying to find something exactly the same.

10 hours ago, Joss said:

'The materials to be used in the construction of the external surfaces of the development hereby permitted shall match those used on the existing building.'

The condition only refers to the materials so if the existing are uPVC then the new ones must also be uPVC. It doesn't mention the profile so that's up to you but should match existing within reason if that was on your application drawings. 

Is there another condition requiring materials to be approved by the planners? If not then no need to do that either. If there is then you may need to submit a sample/drawings first.

Once you have met all conditions apply to have them formally discharged. There is a fee for this and it's cheaper to get them all done at once.

Edited by Temp