Vat on electric garage door

I am trying to get through to vat helpline but hanging on for ever they must be busy.

Meantime thought one of you superstars may be able to help.

I am having a sectional garage door, electric of course. Installer happy no vat as new build but has queried if the electric motor element is vatable. Any one know the answer?

Thanks in anticipation

@Alphonsox is correct you cannot claim for an electric opener, however if the door is supplied with an integrated electric opener then this can be claimed as part of the whole door, unless it is itemised individually.

My windows have integrated blinds, in theory these can't be claimed for (curtains/blinds) but they are part of the window as a whole so just form part of the overall window cost.

The moral of the story is buy fully integrated systems that can't be itemised individually.

8 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

The moral of the story is buy fully integrated systems that can't be itemised individually.

Very true, it applies to pretty much everything related to VAT.  TBH, I doubt HMRC would even look at a garage door VAT receipt to see if there was anyway to split out the electric opener, as when we were looking around for one I specifically wanted a manual door, and simply couldn't find one in the size and type we wanted.  It seems that electric operation is getting to be pretty much standard for some types of garage door, now.

If they were installing it then their labor should be zero rated. Then materials eg the door etc should be supplied at the same rate. No reclaim required.

If you install it then I don't think you can reclaim the vat. I mean on the electric opener. The door itself is ok.

Edited by Temp

On the spreadsheet there is a column for the description of the item. There were a many times when I couldn't be bothered to ensure what I put in this box exactly matched what was on the invoice.

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Mine was, they just zero rated the whole supply and installation.  In my case there was no manual option available for the door we chose, anyway, all of the models in that range were electrically operated.

.  + yes the same for us