Greetings

Spangles

Hello all

Brit expat currently in tropical island seeks counsel from experienced jedi...er i mean diyers on various sides of a project that will test your limits or mine? heh...time will tell. 

anyhow i've browsed a bit on here and it seems like lots of peeps are really knowledgeable and helpful so fingers crossed, i'll avoid hammer on big toe and the likes. 

spangles

12 hours ago, Stones said:

Welcome. Which tropical island?

Hello all

Bang in the middle of the indian ocean, well a bit more to the south of the equator, Mauritius. 

Spangles

Edited by Spangles
forgot to add something obv

3 hours ago, Spangles said:

Hello all

Bang in the middle of the indian ocean, well a bit more to the south of the equator, Mauritius. 

Spangles

Not sure my island paradise compares...at least, not weather wise. I take it cooling and humidity are the main challenges you face?

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome.

I lived on a tropical island once, I liked it very much.

Last time I was local to it, I managed to not use the air conditioning.  Was my contribution to offsetting the flight.

Currently living in the centre of the island where the weather is not so bad during summer but a bit humid/damp during winter. Currently around 32c. I don't use air con in the house but when out and about, I have to use it in the car.

2 hours ago, Stones said:

Not sure my island paradise compares...at least, not weather wise. I take it cooling and humidity are the main challenges you face?

Cooling not such an issue since the property is located on the central plateau and quite cool and breezy being sited next to a volcano crater that might or might not burp hot stuffs. Humid during the cooler/rainy seasons - a small dehumidifier does the job. 

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Come less often and fly Etihad Business Studio Class :-).

I had the misfortune of taking a stop in Dubai to stretch my legs a bit. People, by all means, avoid any stop over in Dubai. The worst ever airport I have ever been in and sorry to be a bit old fashionned but what on earth am I going to do with ( that currency ) after buying a caffe latte in pound sterling?! Strange toilet bowls that filled to the brim with hot water?? Going for number two is hazardous. And the list goes on...

From that day on, anything will do but none of those flights please. I''ve had my fill so to speak. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

55 minutes ago, Spangles said:

I had the misfortune of taking a stop in Dubai to stretch my legs a bit. People, by all means, avoid any stop over in Dubai. The worst ever airport I have ever been in and sorry to be a bit old fashionned but what on earth am I going to do with ( that currency ) after buying a caffe latte in pound sterling?! Strange toilet bowls that filled to the brim with hot water?? Going for number two is hazardous. And the list goes on...

From that day on, anything will do but none of those flights please. I''ve had my fill so to speak. 

I liked going through Dubai on Emirates business class. Normal albeit plush showers and wcs in the business lounge. I never ventured to the main concourse really with the peasants! xDWeird double glazed windows on the shuttle bus I remember with condensation streaming down the inside.

Sadly that gravy train has now stopped running! 

1 hour ago, Spangles said:

15,875 posts ?

Supreme leader, is that you?? 

Not at all, there is a very long history to this forum, that dates back at least 12 years or more.  It had a predecessor, that sadly was closed down, and 14 of the regulars there decided to resurrect it.  As a bit of a joke, we carried over the post counts from this forums predecessor to here, so you can spot the founder members by their post counts, in the main.  I wouldn't pay any attention to the number of posts, it's the quality and usefulness that is important, and that is outwith the control of the person posting.  There is a "leader board" that shows who's made the most recommended posts in any day, week month or whatever, but the most important thing is to form your own view as to how much help anyone gives, or more importantly, the community here as a whole gives.  We try to be as leaderless as possible, and let the forum members all have an equal say, and treat all as having an equal standing, whether they've been here for ages or just joined.

I do think we'll b challenged a bit to give useful advice for your location, but you can be damned sure we'll tru our best!

32 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Not at all, there is a very long history to this forum, that dates back at least 12 years or more.  It had a predecessor, that sadly was closed down, and 14 of the regulars there decided to resurrect it.  As a bit of a joke, we carried over the post counts from this forums predecessor to here, so you can spot the founder members by their post counts, in the main.  I wouldn't pay any attention to the number of posts, it's the quality and usefulness that is important, and that is outwith the control of the person posting.  There is a "leader board" that shows who's made the most recommended posts in any day, week month or whatever, but the most important thing is to form your own view as to how much help anyone gives, or more importantly, the community here as a whole gives.  We try to be as leaderless as possible, and let the forum members all have an equal say, and treat all as having an equal standing, whether they've been here for ages or just joined.

I do think we'll b challenged a bit to give useful advice for your location, but you can be damned sure we'll tru our best!

That is an old forum indeed. Kudos to the regulars who didn't let it die. I'm sure countless of people are thankful of the resource and help they've received on here. 

Oh I do think my location will be a bit of a challenge but we can only go 'beyond' if we want to grow. Having purchased a plot of 8000 sqm that's got really amazing views on the lagoon, a few ideas knocked about till I found what would be best for this type of location. I have been watching a lot how they build here and not too convinced about the methods as it seems to favour more contractor's and architect's pockets than the client's interests. However, I'm sure the combined experienced on here will help me immensely in this project. 

Edited by Spangles
typos & cat attack