Monobloc tails & Hep2O

Crofter

Fitting the tap for the basin. Three parts to this question:

- how the heck do you tighten up the tails on a tall pillar monobloc, when the connection is buried several inches up inside the thing? Or is hand tight sufficient?

- should I junk the flexi tails that came with the tap, and get solid copper ones instead? And if I do, are the connections at the top end all the same?

- I need to hook this up to Hep2O, so is it worth junking the supplied flexis which end in a 1/2" thread, and fitting Hepworth's own flexis that have push fit connectors already on them? The other option is to use the existing flexis and buy Hep tap conns, which only saves a few quid and means extra connections. I'd also trust a Hep flexi over an unbranded eBay one.

Thanks for any help :)

Hand tight twisted from the bottom of the flexi. Better to assemble this bit before passing through the tap hole, bit of silicone lube helps...

Extra joins underneath are okay as it's all accessible 

Flexi tail connections are either 8 or 10mm so yes they can be different, all have a rubber O ring for the hand tight seal

Edited by Tennentslager
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

Hand tight twisted from the bottom of the flexi. Better to assemble this bit before passing through the tap hole, bit of silicone lube helps...

Extra joins underneath are okay as it's all accessible 

Flexi tail connections are either 8 or 10mm so yes they can be different, all have a rubber O ring for the hand tight seal

+1. Hand tight. 

One option

And another

First one can go into a bend or straight coupling. Second one to pipe or copper. ?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crofter said:

how the heck do you tighten up the tails on a tall pillar monobloc, when the connection is buried several inches up inside the thing?

I thought you did those up before fitting and drop the whole lot through the hole. Least ways that is what I simply recall doing last time I fitted one. They usually have an 'O' ring so maybe hand tight is enough but I would not think so.

34 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I thought you did those up before fitting and drop the whole lot through the hole. Least ways that is what I simply recall doing last time I fitted one. They usually have an 'O' ring so maybe hand tight is enough but I would not think so.

With a tall pillar tap it doesn't really matter whether it's fitted to te basin or not- it's still way up inside a narrow space, inside the tap pillar itself.

The MIs for our kitchen tap (which has three flexi tails, one extra for boiling water) say to put a little silicone grease on the O seals (the tap was supplied with a small sachet of the clear stuff) then fit the tails hand tight only up inside the base.  The tails were long enough that I could feed all three down through the worktop hole from the top, one by one, so the ends didn't cause the things to jam in the hole (at a guess the flexi tails were around 18" long).  Fitting the big plate underneath, plus the washer and long tubular nut to secure the tap was pretty easy after that. 

We've had no problems with leaks, even though the tails are only hand tight.  In fact you can unscrew the tails two or three turns and they stay sealed, as the O rings seal into machined bores in the base of the tap, away from the threaded part, so they aren't working under compression at all.

• Like 1