Plumber chased out wall for radiator pipes (brick, lime render) - what's the best way filling?

Hi everyone, 

Just had a plumber fit a radiator in our living room, and we had him chase out the wall to fit the pipes. Everything's installed fine, I'm just wondering how I go about filling the hole in the pipes - what's the best practice? The chase is 80mm wide, and 2m long. Can I just fill it with bonding and then Easifill over the top, or do I need to fill with lime render?

Ideally, since it's such a small chase, I'm hoping it's just ok to do it the modern way and avoid lime, but I'll do whatever needs to be done. 

Also, side question - do I have to protect the copper pipes, or if it OK to just completely surround them in whatever I end up using?

3 hours ago, GeoffSmith said:

do I have to protect the copper pipes

If it is an external wall, then yes, with insulation.

Generally best to insulate pipework anyway.

It is also possible that the 'filler' you use could react with the copper.

https://www.bes.co.uk/class-o-adhesive-tape-black-3mm-x-50mm-x-15m-17548/

A bit of this both sides/around, and then nail clip the pipes. Then fill over.

It’s not the best things to chase a wall and bury pipes, but I’ve done it so many times I’ve lost count. 

Heat will leak into the wall, but a comet may also hit planet earth and kill us all, so decide if a neat room is important and accept the compromise afaic ;) 

As per @SteamyTea’s comment, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you render or fill onto bare copper pipes. In a previous life, if I had to do this, I usually used 10mm plastic coated copper.

Argh, bugger, I don't think that's going to be possible, there won't be enough room to put a jacket round the pipes and the plumber has filled a bunch of it with expanding foam to hold in place. 

It is an external wall, but it's a cavity wall with foam bead insulation

I'll see if I can get enough space around the pipes to cover with that tape, thanks so much for the advice. As per the material, can I just use normal bonding instead of lime?

Edited by GeoffSmith

3 hours ago, GeoffSmith said:

the plumber has filled a bunch of it with expanding foam

AAArrggh. Maybe it will be ok.....but expanding foam is used far too often because it is a quick bodge.

Does the can say anything about heat / shrinkage /reactions against copper?

12 hours ago, GeoffSmith said:

Argh, bugger, I don't think that's going to be possible, there won't be enough room to put a jacket round the pipes and the plumber has filled a bunch of it with expanding foam to hold in place. 

It is an external wall, but it's a cavity wall with foam bead insulation

I'll see if I can get enough space around the pipes to cover with that tape, thanks so much for the advice. As per the material, can I just use normal bonding instead of lime?

Bonding will be fine, just don’t try to fill it all in one set. Half fill, leave 24hrs, then final fill just a bit shy. Then finish with Easi-fill or Tupret filler which will sand back easily.

If you need to remove the plumbers foam then it’ll just scrape out tbh.