Blocks for inner skin

Jane W

Plot purchased: tick!

Topographical survey: tick!

Beginning process of deciding architects/architectural technicians/project manager etc: In progress. 

I was just having a little discussion with a potential project manager about walls.

Our plot is tight for the build we ideally want both in terms of space, and available money( the usual thing!).

We're building brick and block with full fill dritherm or similar. Thinking about options. I do not want aerated lightweight blocks.

Anyone got suggestions for cost and space effective solutions to meeting insulation standards, looking at choice of blocks and insulation combinations?

I'd be over the moon if there was a medium density block/dritherm type insulation combination that would make a standard cavity wall width! but guessing there's going to be compromise. I'm also aware that wider cavities also have other cost implications...

10 minutes ago, nod said:

We’ve used solid concrete blocks for the last two 

Ah ok. Could I ask some further questions....Were they medium density (which is what I'm hoping to go for) or dense? What was the cavity width and fill you used, and u-value you achieved? Did you get any resistance or higher quotes from the brickies for solid concrete?

2 hours ago, Jane W said:

if there was a medium density block/dritherm type insulation combination that would make a standard cavity wall width

We want a wet plaster rather than plasterboard so wondering if insulating plaster would be a possibility?

1 hour ago, Jane W said:

We want a wet plaster rather than plasterboard so wondering if insulating plaster would be a possibility?

we used medium density block and we went with full fill aAs there was a fire at the German factory where the insulation boards where made and all the major house builders bought the remaining stock 

I chose to use insulated plasterboard on the external was As I’ve done with the current build Magnetic plaster on the study and children’s bedrooms 

Wet plaster can have a cold feel to it 

I run a plastering business and we are still asked for sand and cement + skim on occasion Definitely better for fixing to and similar price to dot and dab