Sunvic DM5601 actuator replacement

oldkettle

Hi,

The old actuator we have for CH/HW valve hardly moves any more even though I can hear (and see) it trying and turning the head a bit. The plastic in it is already broken but I can move the valve with my fingers so it is not stuck.

Here is how the whole setup looks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97587014@N08/shares/298y9j

And here is the actuator

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97587014@N08/shares/397z1A

I looked it up and the new ones cost in excess of £120. There seem to be refurbished ones on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DM5601-SUNVIC-DUOVAL-2-PORT-4-WIRE-MID-POSITION-MOTOR-NEW-ACTUATOR/162735175159?epid=1310816191&hash=item25e3c5b5f7:g:E~YAAOSwgeRZnEU0 (the name seems wrong as it should be 3-port but the pictures and the name are a match)

What is the best option for me here - based on our hopes of ripping it all off next summer STUC :-) It feels like a professional would take an hour to install a completely new system, but it would probably have to be re-wired, thermostat replaced etc, which is not really feasible. Is there a reasonably priced direct replacement for the valve + the actuator that wouldn't require drastic changes everywhere else? Or should I just buy off ebay as I then should be able to install it myself and with 1 year warranty it is a reasonable temporary solution?

Thanks in advance.

Don't use either WD-40 or 3-in-1, as both have the potential to damage seals from the solvents they contain and neither is a particularly good lubricant.  WD-40 is most definitely not a lubricant, the name is an abbreviation of "Water Dispersant Type 40", and "3-in-1" is a mixture of light machine oil and solvents, intended to work as a short duration lubricant, a cleaning agent and an anti-seize agent.

High temperature silicone grease is generally pretty safe on anything, and is most probably what is used as the assembly lubricant originally.

I keep an aerosol can of "O ring safe" motorcycle chain lubricant around for jobs like this.  You can be sure that the solvent that allows it to penetrate won't damage seals, and the resulting heavy grease is non-corrosive and resists pretty high working temperatures OK.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Thanks 1

+1 on silicone grease, NOT silicone spray. Been using it for years on F and co-ax connectors and crimp connectors of all sorts. I dip the stripped wire into the grease then put the crimp on. I dip crimp spades into it too before putting together. 

Just using it now where the rear wash wipe spindle passes through the rear screen in the Golf.

Battery terminals on the cars...

The lads at work use it on the actuator spindles in fan coil units too.

I use silicone spray on some plumbing stuff and the door seals on the car

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Best not to use silicone spray on door seals, it can dry out the foamed rubber used. The right stuff is the wonderful Gummi-Pfledge.

I never knew or had even heard of it. I'll get some.