We're featuring on Grand Designs next week 🎥

thefoxesmaltings

We've had to keep this a big secret. About 2 years ago, we were approached by Channel 4, asking us if we wanted to feature on Grand Designs.

Like many of us on here, having watched the show a lot, and seeing how they typically go, we immediately said 'no' 😂 . After a fair bit of discussion, we came round to the idea, as we thought it would be a nice professionally produced story of our self-build, and so here we are.

You can catch our full story and how it all went, on Wednesday 2nd October, Channel 4, 9pm.

And for a sneak peak, you can see what we've been building on our Instagram: @thefoxesmaltings

1000001969.JPG

• Like 6

Not only a self-builder: but also brave. Hats off well done. 

Got any goss' about Our Kev and 'is little proclivities - we'll keep it a secret?  Honest

PS I'll ask it first    ------      How The Hell Did You Get Those Stairs signed off ?

Edited by ToughButterCup

17 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Not only a self-builder: but also brave. Hats off well done. 

Got any goss' about Our Kev and 'is little proclivities - we'll keep it a secret?  Honest

PS I'll ask it first    ------      How The Hell Did You Get Those Stairs signed off ?

No gossip about Kev I'm afraid. Apart from that he is such a genuine, and lovely chap.

If you're looking at photos of the stairs on the Instagram, they are probably unfinished ones, but once completed, were signed off no probs.

• Like 1

Just now, Bozza said:

Was there something unusual about your build?  Why were they interested in you guys, other than the Hollywood smiles? GD usually don’t feature run of the mill builds.

I'm guessing from a quick look on Insta that it's because it was a Paragraph 79 build.

• Like 1

So which of the following can we look forward to?

You ran out of money.

Something went disastrously wrong?

You got divorced?

You had a baby?

The contractors deserted you?

And so the list goes on.

But one genuine question, you see so many GD houses struggling to finish having run out of money and the outside is still a building site mess, but when Kevin comes back for the final visit the outside is a perfect garden.  I think "how did they manage that when they barely managed to get the house habitable"?  Did the GD crew stump up for that to make it looked finished?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So which of the following can we look forward to?

You ran out of money.

Something went disastrously wrong?

You got divorced?

You had a baby?

The contractors deserted you?

And so the list goes on.

But one genuine question, you see so many GD houses struggling to finish having run out of money and the outside is still a building site mess, but when Kevin comes back for the final visit the outside is a perfect garden.  I think "how did they manage that when they barely managed to get the house habitable"?  Did the GD crew stump up for that to make it looked finished?

Ha. I can neither confirm or deny any of the above bullet points. You'll have to tune in to the episode to find out...

It's public knowledge that the production crew don't compensate us for being on the show. The only thing that's covered is reimbursement of a few basic expenses, if there is any travel required.

As to your question on how some houses run out of money, it's barely habitable, and then it's all perfect at the end? I genuinely don't know.

I approached grand design about my build 10 yrs ago ( I am being serious btw ) .

I was told you don’t get paid ! . I told them to (expletive deleted) off because I don’t need mc cloud telling me what a shit show it is when I can work that out myself .

Perhaps though I’d allow him to look now just so I can see his smug face …

53 minutes ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

As to your question on how some houses run out of money, it's barely habitable, and then it's all perfect at the end? I genuinely don't know.

You’ll over spend . There will be stress . Then you’ll say it was worth it but you wouldn’t do it again . Then some nice plinky plonk music gently plays as the camera pans up away from your build and mc cloud offers some immortal words that make other viewers feel cosy yet I just swear at the screen .

But ! You did it ! . That and that alone is legend status ! ( unless you’re some experienced builder or architect because you know what to do ! )

Edited by Pocster

1 hour ago, Super_Paulie said:

how come people can build a mansion from nothing in a year of graft yet i spend every sodding day for 3 years on my 3 bedroom semi and still havent got a ceiling...

Because you fanny around like me . Please join my other thread for ‘us’ type of people .

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

You’ll over spend . There will be stress . Then you’ll say it was worth it but you wouldn’t do it again . Then some nice plinky plonk music gently plays as the camera pans up away from your build and mc cloud offers some immortal words that make other viewers feel cosy yet I just swear at the screen .

But ! You did it ! . That and that alone is legend status ! ( unless you’re some experienced builder or architect because you know what to do ! )

Ha! This made me laugh. No experience of building or construction or background in architecture I'm afraid. First timers in all regards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

Ha! This made me laugh. No experience of building or construction or background in architecture I'm afraid. First timers in all regards.

Then you are legends like me !

Rejoice in the futility and ( let’s be honest ) stupidity of trying to build a house on your own . We are kindred spirits !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

Which I find incredible. Your choice of materials has been excellent. Not cheap mind, but has upped the standard I want for my build. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

How can it take only a year? I'm honestly working myself to the bone here and it's taking ages... I'm a competent technician by trade, what am I doing wrong! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zzPaulzz said:

Which I find incredible. Your choice of materials has been excellent. Not cheap mind, but has upped the standard I want for my build. 

Thanks for the kind words. Materials always seem to be divisive. Cor-ten, for example. We've had people call it 'scrap metal', and others love it. At the end of the day we've built it with materials that bring us joy, and don't worry too much about what others think. After all, we're the ones who have to look at it every day! That's the best advice we could give. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_Paulie said:

How can it take only a year? I'm honestly working myself to the bone here and it's taking ages... I'm a competent technician by trade, what am I doing wrong! 😆

Who said it took a year? You'll have to tune in next week to see...

(p.s. I'm sure you're not doing anything "wrong". Things often just take longer than anticipated.)