Getting planning officers to hurry up

Drellingore

Any advice on how to get planning officers to hurry up?

Firstly, our planning officer is a lovely lady who is massively over-worked. However she did forget to approach half the consultees for five weeks which caused a big delay. She then suggested a determination deadline extension of a month, which has come and gone. She wanted to check an issue with her line manager, but her line manager was off for a week and then our planning officer was off the next week (which was also the week before her nominated extension deadline). The issue she wanted to check is moot: the red line in our BNG plans didn't match that in the site plan, but we're exempt from the BNG requirements anyway. We've now not heard from her in two weeks, despite several emails and voicemails. The application was validated on 18th June, so 100 days/14 weeks ago at the time of writing. 

I don't want to aggravate her into doing the easiest thing to get us to go away (declining the application) and I don't especially want to piss people off, but this is getting a bit daft. Appealing to the inspectorate for non-determination means a guaranteed delay of about six months though.

I'm thinking of mentioning by email that I'd like the application 'escalated', and if I don't hear back then email the department inbox in an attempt to get the attention of her manager. If that doesn't work, I'll mention by email that I'm thinking of complaining to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, to see if that focuses their attention. I guess the last arrow in the quiver is to threaten to take it to the inspectorate.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Have you seen any responses from consultees?  The planning officer will often wait for all these before they write their report.  It may be worth emailing her to establish if she is likely to support your proposal.  Forget the 'escalated' bit as it is inflammatory and will just piss her off.  Same for the Ombudsman complaint.  You need to play nicely.

>>> Appealing to the inspectorate for non-determination means a guaranteed delay of about six months though.

Actually a year.

I have seen before an informal appeal used to the case officer's boss - the org chart of your LPA is probably published like ours is. Another avenue is the councillor for your area - if anything like ours, that person and their contact details is shown on your planning application on your LPA's portal.

An increasingly common problem I think, let us know how you get on.

>>> You need to play nicely.

Yeah, our neighbours did - and their non-contentious application took the LPA a year. By which time the economics of what the neighbours were planning had changed for the worse and so having gained permisssion now, they don't intend to use it.

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Learn patience.

Can't tell if joking, despite the signature. We waited a year for our last application to get a committee hearing. I've learned patience.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Have you seen any responses from consultees?

Yep. National Landscape (FKA AONB) had some nits to pick but didn't object outright, and we published a rebuttal of their concerns. They've all had well over the mandatory period to give a response. Parish Council, Highways, EA all approve. 

On 26/09/2024 at 16:59, Drellingore said:

I'm thinking of mentioning by email that I'd like the application 'escalated', and if I don't hear back then email the department inbox in an attempt to get the attention of her manager. If that doesn't work, I'll mention by email that I'm thinking of complaining to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, to see if that focuses their attention. I guess the last arrow in the quiver is to threaten to take it to the inspectorate.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

I suspect many of us have been told the planning officers are overworked and the departments are understaffed, people are on holiday or extended sick leave - it seems likes it's an epidemic since the the pandemic (!) as they blithely miss validation, decision and determination dates. I'm not saying that the individuals are not doing their job but something's very wrong and it's unlikely to change in the short term in terms of funding, extra staff, better allocation of resources, etc. However, the one thing that seems to get lost is the fact that we are not "asking" the council to consider a planning application as just another member of the public, we are customers, paying them a substantial amount of money to do so and we should be treated as such. There should be a much clearer route for handling complaints and a published service level agreement.

Based on my own experience, I wouldn't wait any longer than I have to. I'd escalate as you suggest, by copying in your case officer's manager and the LPA's general inbox email address with a clear plan of further actions as you suggest and make sure you document every call, email or action taken.