Plumbing regulation trip hazards

peteypops

Afternoon all,

I'm designing the bathrooms which I will be installing myself into our new build. I've previously done complete bathroom renovations, from bare plaster up, which have still been fully functional 10 years later, so I'm not worried about implementing a working bathroom. I am however not up to date on the regulations, which I'm reading through at the moment.

So just to make sure I don't miss anything, are there any recent regulations that commonly trip people up? I'm aware of the requirement for a TMV for the bath. I'm using a AAV for the bath to prevent the risk of siphoning the sink or toilet. Is there anything else that commonly causes issues?

Thanks in advance

Pete

1 hour ago, peteypops said:

Is there anything else that commonly causes issues?

Wimmin.

"There you are darlin' ...  " says @peteypops with a big (this means Brownie Points) smile and flourish

"Errr...." ( she hoists a storm warning - with a matching smile natch)  "WhatAboutThe [.....] sweetheart ?"

" But you didn't ask for one of those "

Foot tapping starts ...... 

"Well I'd have thought that was obvious ...... "

• Haha 2

On 25/09/2024 at 12:37, peteypops said:

TMV for the bath

Please tell me I don’t have to fit one of these on each of my bath and all the showers!  We’re looking at a nice big hot water cylinder which can be heated to circa 50c to be nice and efficient for the heat pump.

22 minutes ago, G and J said:

Please tell me I don’t have to fit one of these on each of my bath and all the showers!  We’re looking at a nice big hot water cylinder which can be heated to circa 50c to be nice and efficient for the heat pump.

Fit a TMV mixing valve after the UVC so all hot water is pre-mixed with cold to 43°C or whatever the requirements. I think it might be part of the standard UVC schematic, I could be wrong. 

Edited by Nick Laslett

1 hour ago, Mike said:

And, while not a rule, beware of flexible tap connectors:

I used these on my last bath room which was still fine after 10 years. Is it possible that product quality is an issue here? As in, buying a hotels worth you might go for a cheaper option, buying half a dozen this is not an issue.

3 hours ago, G and J said:

Please tell me I don’t have to fit one of these on each of my bath and all the showers!  

Bath only with a maximum temperature of 48 degrees C, the intention was to prevent scalding by getting into/being put into a large body of very hot water and not being able to exit swiftly, presumably one can dodge out of a too hot shower easier (although most showers have a high temperature stop that has to be over ridden, if like my wife you want a shower hot enough to peel off the skin!))

23 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

Fit a TMV mixing valve after the UVC so all hot water is pre-mixed with cold to 43°C or whatever the requirements. I think it might be part of the standard UVC schematic, I could be wrong. 

UK regs say -

3.68 The length of supply pipes between in-line
blending valves and outlets should be kept to
a minimum in order to prevent the colonisation
of waterborne pathogens.

So, if it's being checked by building control that might cause issues.

23 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

TMV mixing valve after the UVC

But not if you have hot water circulation. As there are issues with very hot water making its way past the TMV. 

Couple of simple ways to mitigate

1. Just set your tank temp to 48 to 50 degs, then no need to have a TMV at all.

2. If you have a mixer tap on the bath this issue should be taken care of by the mixer.

23 hours ago, peteypops said:
On 26/09/2024 at 15:38, Mike said:

And, while not a rule, beware of flexible tap connectors:

I used these on my last bath room which was still fine after 10 years.

I've used them many times in the past too. AFAIK they're all still fine. But, having seen the damage that can be caused, I no longer take the risk. Reliable alternatives are readily available.

23 hours ago, peteypops said:

Is it possible that product quality is an issue here? As in, buying a hotels worth you might go for a cheaper option, buying half a dozen this is not an issue.

Yes and no.

Being a hotel, they'd undoubtedly have specified connectors to BS EN 13618 (or it's predecessor - they'd been installed at least 10 years previously). It's more likely a DIYer would ignore that (or not even think of looking for it).

However it seems clear that that standard isn't good enough, so to that extent yes, product quality is an issue. However to pick something of higher quality you'd need to evaluate manufacturers' data on the quality and thickness of the brass / rubber / stainless stainless steel braiding that they use, and the resistance to water hammer / temperature / chemicals - if you can find anyone who publishes that.

Edited by Mike