New 3kW system with no battery, will be hooked to the grid who knows when - how to optimize usage?

Garald

Just got 3kW worth of solar panels installed; no battery. The power-grid monopolistic company will hook me up to the grid when it pleases (maybe in a few days, maybe in many months). In the meantime, how do I set up things (meaning mainly my heat-pump, water-heater included) so that it actually uses the power produced by the panels (functioning when there's sun out, that is, rather than waiting for the water to get cold first)?

No photo description available.

Edited by Garald

34 minutes ago, Conor said:

You can't. It'll be a grid tied system. So it's sitting there doing nothing until it's fully connected up.

Wait, this doesn't agree with what I've been told. My understanding is that I will be consuming whatever energy this produces until it's connected. (This is France, in case it isn't obvious from the picture; is it different in the UK?)

Edited by Garald

3 hours ago, Garald said:

Well, obviously, but I need another connection so that I can sell excess electricity to the town.

The same connection is used for both import and export.

The inverter manages things automatically based on how much power your panels are producing and how much power your house is using.

Perhaps there's a new meter needed?

8 minutes ago, jack said:

The same connection is used for both import and export.

The inverter manages things automatically based on how much power your panels are producing and how much power your house is using.

Perhaps there's a new meter needed?

Maybe that's the case. 

You can get PV diverters. These units are designed to turn on a remote load i.e. water heater, when they sense power being exported.

There is usually a minimum generation they can work down to, so good for resistance loads, not so good for inductive loads like a heat pump. Heat pumps don't like being started and stopped too often.

The usual way to 'run' a heat pump from PV is ti take the statistical route i.e. max generation is around local noon, so a couple of hours either side. You will still be importing energy during these times, but less than usual.

You have to balance that with whatever you get changed for you importing energy, it may still work out cheaper to run the heavy loads at night, only you know your tarrif.

Depending on what you get paid to export, you may find that the cash generated is a better option.

9 hours ago, Garald said:

Well, obviously, but I need another connection so that I can sell excess electricity to the town.

Well its not that obvious. You're posting on a UK forum and over here we have a single connection for both import and export. There's no second connection required to connect solar PV to. Maybe it's different in France but I'd be surprised if it was.

In the UK you need an export MPAN, but that's not a second connection

Can you post pictures of exactly what you have inside, i.e. inverter and any switchgear and what is connected already and more importantly what is NOT connected?

It sounds like you have a very different way of connecting and metering to us in the UK and until we understand how it is connected we can't advise much.

It might be as simple as it is already connected but you are awaiting a separate export meter to be installed to enable payments of exported power.

Sorry if I came off as rude - certainly not my intention! 

Here are some pictures. The cables from the new electrical board inside to the panels on the roof are contained in the grey tube you see on the outside, parallel to the black cables that connect the house to the grid (and to my neighbours‘ building, in a bizarre aerial installation).

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

13 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Well its not that obvious. You're posting on a UK forum and over here we have a single connection for both import and export. There's no second connection required to connect solar PV to. Maybe it's different in France but I'd be surprised if it was.

In the UK you need an export MPAN, but that's not a second connection

Oh, I post here in part because the French building forum I know is full of rude people who don‘t know anything.

Maybe things are now clear from the pictures - should I take photos of anything else?

52 minutes ago, Garald said:

IMG_1798.jpeg

Can you post pictures of all the other bits that connect to that white plastic trunking?  there should be an inverter and some switches and possibly meters and things.

I enjoy your posts here, please don't stop, it is interesting to see how other countries do things, the only frustration is we don't know the regulations in France so can't make much comment on what is correct from a French regulation point of view.

No I mean zoomed out other bits of equipment not more details of the ones you have show.

Somewhere there should be an inverter, here is one as a random picture to give you an idea what it might look like

image.png.b88c2331a07531978dc63970a050221c.png

It may not even be in the same room, but I would have thought it likely to connect to that run of white trunking running down the wall from the consumer unit you already posted.

42 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

May be micro inverters on the back of the modules.

Fair chance. Grey conduit from roof is AC from micro inverters to surge protection then to Q2. Connection to main consumer unit is via RCD and Q1??? 2 cables and earth in the cable glands. All switched on so maybe already running or needs MCB in main consumer unit switching on??

Could be something completely different but micro inverters would work with what's been shown so far.

Google translate says 3   " MICRO-ONDULEURS THALEOS    TRANSFORMER    2 "are micro inverters.

If the app shows the panels generating then youre up and running. Anything you generate will be used to power your house and if there's anything you don't use it'll likely go the grid to power your neighbours 

• Like 1