Shower trays, traps and maintenance

Kuro507

The house we are just in the proces of buying needs a new main upstairs bathroom and en-suite. (22 years old and not maintained)

Downstairs there are clear water marks on the ceiling below the bath and en-suite shower. I should imagine its the usual problem with traps that have compression (hand tightened) fittings that get hot and cold and start to separate.

Have any of you come across reliable traps that are easy to maintain, perhaps from above? Maybe solvent fitting, rather than compression.

I don't really want to install access hatches in the ceiling downstairs, once the new bathrooms are tiled, maintenance is going to be difficult.

I know some people have built the shower trays up off the floor, to provide an access panel on the side, but its a bit unsightly and the en-suit has a height issue due to the sloping roof.

Making a wetroom may be an alternative solution, but a reliable and easy to maintain trap is still going to be required.

Thanks in advance for ideas and suggestions :) 

Each time I buy a resin shower tray 5 on this build They come supplied with a trap I always replace these with a Mcalpine trap Hand tightened But the best out there Around £20

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Kuro507 said:

Are these traps easily maintained from above?

Apart from the joint that connects to the outlet pipe which is solvent welded the rest you access from the top

theres not much to maintain just a hair trap to empty and that’s it really. 

My money on the water stains below is NOT anything to do with the traps, but poor sealing around the shower tray and edge of the bath.

My No 1 tip, is do your new bathroom properly as a wet room, with a wet room shower former and tanking system, and suitable top access trap.  That will be an end to trying to seal a normal shower tray to a normal wall.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My money on the water stains below is NOT anything to do with the traps, but poor sealing around the shower tray and edge of the bath.

My No 1 tip, is do your new bathroom properly as a wet room, with a wet room shower former and tanking system, and suitable top access trap.  That will be an end to trying to seal a normal shower tray to a normal wall.

I haven't done one before, although my Wife's last house already had one.

Any guides or tips on making a bathroom, or en-suite, into a wetroom?

We will be ripping most of it out anyway, so its the right time to consider it.

1 hour ago, Kuro507 said:

I haven't done one before, although my Wife's last house already had one.

Any guides or tips on making a bathroom, or en-suite, into a wetroom?

We will be ripping most of it out anyway, so its the right time to consider it.

Direct link to my blog page when I did my bathroom  http://ardross.altervista.org/Wilowburn/bathroom-wet-room-floor/

22mm O5 floor panels and an Impey shower wet room shower former and the Impey tanking system that doubles as a decoupling mat for the tiles.