Best type of Mud for drywall.

MikeSharp01

Just about ready to scrim / skim the drywalls in the garden room. Just need a steer on the best mud (plaster / filler) and perhaps a bit on coverage so I don't over order or miss out on potential price breaks. Do I buy ready mixed or powdered? I will also invest in a ROTAX for sanding / finishing as I don't yet have a large (ish) orbital sander. Any and all contributions accepted.

Edited by MikeSharp01

Hi Mike 

You are better using one coat of joint filler Normally stays workable for about 60 minutes Use sparingly as it is quite hard to sand back Just enough to cover the finer tape or paper tape Try about 5 kg Mix a small amount at a time

normally about £10 per bag

Give any high spots a quit sand

Then your ready for two coats of joint cement coat everything including screw holes

you can mix as much as you want as it is an air dry product

just cover the bucket over night 

let it dry white and a gently sand

Then you can apply the final coat

22 kg bag is around £25

you can get ready mix in a tub

But it’s more expensive and can be a bit sloppy

Hope this helps

What I would add is go and buy some quality filler knives/trowels/spreaders whatever you want to call them, don't be trying to do this job with your old glue covered paint scraper. 

Also try to get a good finish of the knife, don't rely on sanding, get it 90%first.

4 trowels 3" 6" 12" and a 3" with an angle for corner work. 

If you want to buy a really expensive giraffe sander I will buy it of you afterwards as I intend to tape and join our whole house. 

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you want to buy a really expensive giraffe sander I will buy it of you afterwards as I intend to tape and join our whole house. 

Yes I have a plan but I don't need a giraffe sander right now as the garden room is quite low but in the main house I will - you can spend of a grand on a good Festool! We may end up needing it at the same time!

6 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes I have a plan but I don't need a giraffe sander right now as the garden room is quite low but in the main house I will - you can spend of a grand on a good Festool! We may end up needing it at the same time!

For a one off house I wouldn’t bother purchasing a graphite sander

ive used a pole sander for years 

if you keep the jointing neat and sand between coats 

You should be able to sand down and average size house in a day

and then seal with a top coat in half a day

No gypsum do a top coat primer 

which seals the boards and helps the paint cover evenly

It goes on really quickly You don’t need to keep it even like paint as it soaks into the board and joint

3 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Thanks @nod I was going to do a course on this but think I will have a go at one wall and see how I get on as it looks like a job I should be able to do and it is another chance to buy some tools!

Yes just take your time

its worth sponging the outer edge of each joint

saves a lot of sanding