Putting in a pond

mjc55

Anyone done this/thinking about doing this on their plot.

We are about to put in planning application and weighing up the pros and cons of doing this as regards the application.

Is it a positive for the planning process or neutral/negative.

The only aspect that occurs to me is that ponds/open water are an attraction to Greater Crested Newts.  We had an ecological survey of plot yesterday and are awaiting report.  There are GCN's in the village but a distance away (probably 5/600m) across a couple of roads.  So currently should not be an issue.

Will more than likely do it anyway but wondering whether it is something we should put in statement to accompany planning app.

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

statement to accompany planning app.

Yes. If it is to be a wild or semi wild pond then they will look favourably. If it can take rainwater from the house then so much the better.

GCNs will find it as will other newts and frogs.  500m is nothing as they roam on land a lot of the year. They will eat the frogspawn and little fish but I think leave big fish alone...which will eat frogspawn and GCN eggs. It is nature, so let them work it out.

• Like 1

Yes.  I planned a wildlife pond (no fish) to increase biodiversity, to try and soften the blow of developing what was an overgrown 'natural' plot.  I don't remember it attracting comments either way at the planning stage tbh, but I like it.  We have a healthy newt population but not seen GCN yet. 

I think all self builders should build a GCN pond/bat box/dormouse hostel if they have the space, then maybe we can get the effing things off the protected list!

• Like 1

I put up bat boxes, but our local woodpecker population decided they were going to evict the bats. Guess they can't read the endangered list.

We are working out the last few details for digging our pond. We have smooth newts so I am hoping they like it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Yes. If it is to be a wild or semi wild pond then they will look favourably. If it can take rainwater from the house then so much the better.

GCNs will find it as will other newts and frogs.  500m is nothing as they roam on land a lot of the year. They will eat the frogspawn and little fish but I think leave big fish alone...which will eat frogspawn and GCN eggs. It is nature, so let them work it out.

Interesting, There is currently a ditch running along the rear of the land (in fact it runs from next door to about 3 properties away).

We were thinking about using this as rainwater run-off from build (Green roof).  Maybe we could somehow incorporate a small pond next to the ditch, run rainwater to it and excess will flow into ditch.

2 minutes ago, Conor said:

I'd leave it off, or at least any specifics, or else out might be held to build it as. You can built it any time in the future.

We are thinking about that, but if it is a positive in planning terms then maybe that will sway us.

I suppose the down side of including is that it might cause issues for neighbours if they are looking to do any work in the future.

2 hours ago, mjc55 said:

Anyone done this/thinking about doing this on their plot.

Yes. And here's what we've done.....

This was all build rubble. All of the planting was done by SWMBO. I can't stand gardening.

pond.thumb.jpg.976bd4bc57f147208a0d8043e4a769b0.jpg

We are surrounded by GCNs - loads of them. 15 at least in this pond , and many hundreds in the 2 ponds either side of us. We named the house Salamander Cottage. 

Can't beat them? Join them then.

The pond is fed by the rainwater from both our roofs, through a rain-garden - here's what happens during a recent thunderstorm .... The water is ducted off the roof  into a sand bed - 4 tonnes or so of sharp sand - that is over-planted with water loving stuff. If there's enough rain this happens ... The rainwater pipe terminates under that concrete planter.

sandbed.thumb.jpg.c1c2ba2c98492b1ea730dab7d19a9216.jpgand a few minutes laterlater.thumb.jpg.af37d85033b9583defdb050852af57b2.jpg

Next stop - the pond.

The BCO could not have been less interested in our SUDS compliance  if he had tried.  But we have a healthy population of all sorts of aquatic creatures. And vast numbers of dragonflies - no idea why.

The key issue for you is Planning and Sustainability . A similar 'process' simply explained in your Design Access Statement is one of the keys that could help you unlock your Planning Permission

Cost? 

4 tonnes sharp sand

20 meters of 110 foul drain pipe

5 tonne digger for one day

Pond liner

Some planning time

Visit to RHS Manchester show to look at practical examples

£500 max.... maybe  £600

Hell of a laugh doing it: especially the grandchildren.

Not sure we'll ever tell the parents what we actually got up to but during the digging out but it rained hard that day ......... among other things they got to push their grandad into a pond. No photos .....

• Like 3

I'd advise choosing your words carefully, and talking more about sustainable drainage than GCNs.

Perhaps have words in the landscape plan that give you a trim or an out if you turn out to need it, whilst mentioning it up front.

And perhaps build it towards the end. I'm not sure what happens if GCNs appear when you still have 5 years to go on building the house, and someone notices.

• Like 2

Our rainwater runs to a dyke.  There didn't seem to be any advantage in putting it into a lined pond as its not going to soak away effectively, and I didn't want an unlined soakaway that dries out in summer. 

Also, I built it several years after moving in, so conflict with newts and house construction.

April 2021

20210418_183743.thumb.jpg.e59bcf7e5df21e9f6bbdc6d187e9cb94.jpg

June 2023

20230612_121735.thumb.jpg.5b0533a9b7381cb6b5c6c37a2eee1106.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

We were thinking about using this as rainwater run-off from build (Green roof).  Maybe we could somehow incorporate a small pond next to the ditch, run rainwater to it and excess will flow into ditch.

Excellent. But note that green roofs don't allow much water to the pond in summer, when you need it, but lots in winter when you don't.

With a spillway/overflow to the ditch that will work nicely.  A secondary outlet pond and spillway will keep the main creatures safe from being washed away.

I built a big pond, primarily to take all the rainwater from a 500m2 roof. No overflow. No Green roof. All the pipes to it are French drains.  (Rainwater harvester en-route too but that is out of commission.

It  is full in winter and completely dry in summer.

I got free expert advice on flora and fauna, which was to do nothing and nature will sort it. Will creatures die?  Perhaps, but it is nature. There were common newts within months. dragonflies the lot.  Mallows are the dominant plant.

This is for a commercial building. For my own house I would have a boggy section, lilies and selected plants.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

more about sustainable drainage than GCNs.

Two different subjects and two ticks.

But I agree it is nature generally, not GCNs which may not even like your pond.

there is to much fuss about GCNs. they aren't an issue but make lots of money for the consultants who make a big story out of it.

43 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

what happens if GCNs appear when you still have 5 years to go on building the house

Nothing happens other than the newts and you all being happy.

• Like 3