Concrete Posts Filling

Hi,

There is a developer (I won't name) that is erecting a fence on our boundary and I believe that whilst the holes have been dug deep enough and the fence generally looks good, the filling of the holes has a lot to be desired. It's odd as to me, this is the easy bit, having done the hard work of digging the hole and setting the post. Perhaps I'm missing something but I'd love to canvas thoughts...

I think the lack of support for the posts our side is going to cause problems and moreover the lack of concrete meeting the gravel boards in places will cause them to drop later.

Thanks...

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

Edited by steveoelliott

Any feedback most welcome… I will raise this with the site manager. The thing is to remedy it now, they’d need to break up the existing concrete and start again. Anything new is surely not going to bind to the old.

Depends on how deep they went.  If its deep enough, no need to have it to the tippy top with concrete. The fact they used concrete posts and gravel boards is a def positive, and you are not in an exposed location there

Reality is.... you'll be fine. I really wouldn't be worrying about that.

I'd keep your powder dry for others areas, rubble under your lawn?

Edited by Andehh
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Perhaps I’m being a bit pedantic then. I’ve never tackled a fence but what I read suggested filling to the top. They got this last one how I would expect to see it.

IMG_3829.jpeg

Edited by steveoelliott

16 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

more importantly if your stood on your garden taking the photo, id want all the rubble moved and 150mm of clean topsoil put back.

That is part of the plan. Thanks for calling it out though.

Having now spoken with the site manager, I am a little concerned at the movement I saw on the posts when he was showing me all should be OK with the installation. I would expect almost zero movement to a concrete post, certainly my existing wooden ones are rock solid. However, with our existing fence in the way and no direct access to the site, I will need to wait until I can actually check them myself. This fence is coming to us at no cost but it's a long run and ultimately I am going to be taking responsibility for it going forward. I may consider trying to get a local fencing company to come out when it's done to give me a proper opinion and then I can challenge the developer.

5 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

I am a little concerned at the movement I saw on the posts when he was showing me all should be OK

Could you actually see movement at the base where it comes out of the ground?  It is surprising just how much concrete posts will bend so movement at the top if solid at the bottom is okay.

However it does look to me like they filled the holes not with concrete, but with bricklaying mortar, probably because they had plenty of that on site ready?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Could you actually see movement at the base where it comes out of the ground?  It is surprising just how much concrete posts will bend so movement at the top if solid at the bottom is okay.

However it does look to me like they filled the holes not with concrete, but with bricklaying mortar, probably because they had plenty of that on site ready?

They were using postcrete or something similar. I saw the yellow bags.

I'll have to wait until I can actually get my hands on one at a later stage to check for movement at the base.  Or when the contractors they are using are back to continue, I'll raise it with them and get them to show me.

Another thing with posts, you need to dig a nice parallel sided hole.

At one previous house a neighbour had a fence installed.  The contractors were not very careful, and the first gale, many of the posts simply pivoted out of the cone shaped hole with a cone shape block of concrete still attached.

• Like 1