Build up plot level

Hi

We are demolishing/dismantling an old prefab bungalow to build on the plot. The plot is lower than the road and tends to flood and we want to build up the height of the site before we dig foundations etc. 

I am assuming that I should be able to get hold of top soil for next to nothing from groundworks elsewhere in the area and that I will just need to hire a digger and driver to level the pile of soil around the site to a level determined by a surveyor. 

I'm guessing it's not that easy (most things aren't!), could I have some advice please. 

Thanks 

You build up the foundations from the existing ground to your finished floor height and then you infill the ground around the house to raise the level.

Building up first would mean you are building on unstable made up ground.

You will get clay from other digs for nothing Top soil will cost 

Do all the foundations and drains Preferably all the build Then start building levels up 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ian said:

Hi

We are demolishing/dismantling an old prefab bungalow to build on the plot. The plot is lower than the road and tends to flood and we want to build up the height of the site before we dig foundations etc. 

I am assuming that I should be able to get hold of top soil for next to nothing from groundworks elsewhere in the area and that I will just need to hire a digger and driver to level the pile of soil around the site to a level determined by a surveyor. 

I'm guessing it's not that easy (most things aren't!), could I have some advice please. 

Thanks 

Dig foundations into virgin ground.

Build up sub-floor blockwork to height you want.

Fill inside and outside with good clean fill well compacted.

Form precast or reinforced sub-floor.

Our planning permission stipulated finished floor level as 300mm above the road level.  As above; get the house built first, then landscape as necessary.  Build up any driveways with stone not topsoil, and consider banking-up ground around the house rather than trying to raise the whole site.

We had exactly the same situation, demolished a damp bungalow, in a hole, the front and back lawns always flooded. We raised the whole foot print of the build by 600mm, and now have a steady fall from the rear of the house to the road.

The build was beam and block ,which made raising the actual house very easy as there is a void with no fill under the floors. The patio and drive way were raised with reclaimed crushed stone , leaving only the garden to fill with soil.

We cleared 200mm of top soil off the whole site before the build started, fortunatly we had space to stack this and keep it clean. Then filled the garden area up with subsoil from the fondations with a bit of imported subsoil ,capped off with the saved topsoil.

The planners had specified the ground level to  eaves height, but fortunatly not the datum ground level.

• Thanks 1