VCL requirement in masonry cavity walls

SBMS

Possibly a stupid question that demonstrates my lack of understanding but… is a VCL required or recommended on a masonry cavity wall, and if not why not?

Speaking mainly about an EPS bead full fill cavity. 

I sense not, and my guess is down to the wall makeup versus timber frame where the vapour permeability goes from low to high to encourage ‘drying out’.. does this principle not apply to masonry? Or just not to the same amount?

Edited by SBMS

1 hour ago, SBMS said:

So not required?

NO

You can get the same effect by using a foil backed  T&G cavity board and making sure all the joints are tight and taped 

10 minutes ago, nod said:

NO

You can get the same effect by using a foil backed  T&G cavity board and making sure all the joints are tight and taped 

Thanks nod - but we're using blown in beads, not cavity board.

Anybody had to look at VCL with a cavity and blown beads - or a cavity with a full fill rockwool for example?

I am using blown EPS beads on a project.  The only issue is that fairfaced brickwork may require a coat of Stormdry to prevent moisture ingress.

No need for a VCL as the dew point is near the outer leaf.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I am using blown EPS beads on a project.  The only issue is that fairfaced brickwork may require a coat of Stormdry to prevent moisture ingress.

No need for a VCL as the dew point is near the outer leaf.

That makes sense - so does the dew point move further toward the outer leaf based on the size of the cavity?  Does this make denser full fill (like cavity batts) higher risk (I understand there's a problem of wicking across the cavity, but am I right in thinking interstitial condensation is moisture travelling from the inside out?

4 hours ago, SBMS said:

so does the dew point move further toward the outer leaf based on the size of the cavity

Yes and no.

The dew point is just somewhere at the right temperature, humidity and air pressure for water vapour to condense.

Take an extreme example, low humidity and high air pressure, and a badly insulated wall. The dew point may be outside the wall i.e. on the cold face.

The counter is a colder, well insulated wall, high humidity and low air pressure. The dew point may be on the inside.

Those examples are regardless of walk/insulation thickness. Just the thermal conductivity.

In reality, a VCL is fitted internally (in the UK climate), and the living area has controlled ventilation.

Controlled ventilation replaces warm, humid air with less humid air (less mass of water overall).

1 minute ago, SBMS said:

@SteamyTea is this correct - that a cavity masonry should have a VCL then?

Not the cavity as such.

Put a VLC on the warm side i.e. inside the house. Make sure the cavities are properly ventilated, but not draughty, and all will be fine.

The outer leaf should act similar to a wind tight, but moisture open layer, but that does depend on choice of materials and quality of build.

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not the cavity as such.

Put a VLC on the warm side i.e. inside the house. Make sure the cavities are properly ventilated, but not draughty, and all will be fine.

The outer leaf should act similar to a wind tight, but moisture open layer, but that does depend on choice of materials and quality of build.

Interesting. Any others out there putting a VCL on inside leaf of masonry? Will chat through this with architect, see what they think. 

1 hour ago, SBMS said:

Interesting. Any others out there putting a VCL on inside leaf of masonry? Will chat through this with architect, see what they think. 

There is not much point if there is no risk of interstitial condensation.  If you had a this layer of Rockwool between battens on the inside you could staple on some polythene before you plasterboard.  Paint can be fairly vapour impermeable.

Most insulated lofts have no VCL and no issues and they are on the horizontal plane which is more vulnerable.

• Thanks 1

No need for AVCL in a cavity wall, full or part fill - not sure how it would be installed! Wall may show slight condensation risk but will still comply with BS5250 on condensation & moisture in buildings. Stop worrying about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1