Where are all the Blown Cellulose Installers?

SBMS

Currently assessing a blown cellulose product for our attic rooms and roof.. Anybody got any recommendation on suppliers/installers?

So far have found Warmcel (awaiting call back) and Thermofloc (made by Thermafleece).  Thermofloc tell me they're no longer doing blown cellulose installation.

At the moment am considering switching to another blown product for the roof (such as blown mineral wool) purely because of the lack of installers (we're not DIYing it).  It does make me wonder how common a product it is, outside of this forum (and the use of MBC, which is across this forum and where they use cellulose extensively, but presumably install it using their own teams?)

Anybody got any recommended installers? UK, north west.

3 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

I’ve got a quote from warmcel in Norwich. £19.25/m2 for 200mm

Thanks Liam. When was that?

Did they give any additional costs for 300mm or higher?

Edited by SBMS

1 hour ago, SBMS said:

Did they give any additional costs for 300mm or higher?

Price would go up roughly pro-rata with increase in cavity thickness, if that's what you mean. They fill to a density, something between 55 - 60 kg/m³ iirc, so the thicker the wall the more bales of cellulose they require.

I used Payne Insulation from Norwich - they did a really good job.

5 minutes ago, IanR said:

Price would go up roughly pro-rata with increase in cavity thickness, if that's what you mean. They fill to a density, something between 55 - 60 kg/m³ iirc, so the thicker the wall the more bales of cellulose they require.

I used Payne Insulation from Norwich - they did a really good job.

Would you recommend cellulose again? How deep did you go?

3 minutes ago, SBMS said:

Would you recommend cellulose again? How deep did you go?

I've got 300mm walls and 350mm roof, filling an I-Joist Structure.

Yes, would definitely do the same again. Thermal performance and acoustic performance exceeded expectation and are a large part of the resultant perceived high comfort levels.

I was a little concerned about cutting Ø100 holes in the plasterboard at the top of every void, thinking the re-work of these may pop the plaster after a few years, but not one is noticeable after 7 years. Just remember to keep the discs you cut out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IanR said:

I've got 300mm walls and 350mm roof, filling an I-Joist Structure.

Yes, would definitely do the same again. Thermal performance and acoustic performance exceeded expectation and are a large part of the resultant perceived high comfort levels.

I was a little concerned about cutting Ø100 holes in the plasterboard at the top of every void, thinking the re-work of these may pop the plaster after a few years, but not one is noticeable after 7 years. Just remember to keep the discs you cut out.

If you did it again would you try and get them to fill before plasterboard has been fitted?

17 minutes ago, SBMS said:

If you did it again would you try and get them to fill before plasterboard has been fitted?

Ah, yes, depends on build up. Not an option for my "Value Engineered" structure, that doesn't include a service void across 95% of the external walls and roof. PB closes off the structure, so needs to be in place for the insulation fill.

image.thumb.png.cda730c2689e3980c120d61ef5079ba2.png

If you're including an OSB inner layer (+ battens) + PB, then yes, holes in the OSB only and can probably close of with stapled net, before boarding.

46 minutes ago, IanR said:

Ah, yes, depends on build up. Not an option for my "Value Engineered" structure, that doesn't include a service void across 95% of the external walls and roof. PB closes off the structure, so needs to be in place for the insulation fill.

image.thumb.png.cda730c2689e3980c120d61ef5079ba2.png

If you're including an OSB inner layer (+ battens) + PB, then yes, holes in the OSB only and can probably close of with stapled net, before boarding.

Interesting... guy from warmcel told me we needed a very vapour impermeable layer for the inner roof makeup (Propassiv best - OSB cheapest) but said we couldn't use Plaster board (and that the pressure from the Cellulose blower could blow it off).  Is that rubbish?

We got lucky with our blown cellulose - we DIYed it by 'borrowing' a machine from a member here who purchased a machine on Ebay. This machine is no longer available but they do come up on ebay or there are smaller machines available in the states that would do the job. DIY was not that difficult but made some rookie errors particularly around the stretching of the internal Intello membrane. UK kits are available for purchase / rent EG https://www.markham-sheffield.co.uk/product/turbisol-56-blowing-machine/

5 minutes ago, SBMS said:

Interesting... guy from warmcel told me we needed a very vapour impermeable layer for the inner roof makeup (Propassiv best - OSB cheapest) but said we couldn't use Plaster board (and that the pressure from the Cellulose blower could blow it off).  Is that rubbish?

Not complete rubbish. I used foil-back PB, which is vapour impermeable, although you end up with some gaps in it for sockets, switches etc. and fixings for PB on the externals walls and roof were specified as 150mm spacing. Payne Insulation were happy with that and there's no noticeable bowing of PB panels or of fixings popping. My (I-Joist) studs were at 400 centres - 600 centres would probably leave the PB insufficiently supported.

• Thanks 1