Lean to Veranda to the back of the house

Hello, 

This is my first time writing here. 

I want to build a Lean to veranda to the back of the house. It is a semi-detached property build in 2020. There is no conservation etc. How high I can start for that Lean-to ? Building regs are quite vogue about it.

Hi, you need to  look at www.planningportal.co.uk to   check whether it’s covered under ‘Permitted Development’ (PD) (see Gov website) which is a Planning  issue.

If it is PD and you don’t need Planning Permission, it may be wise to get a Certificate of Lawfulness, to confirm it, if you are a worrier or have grumpy neighbours.

Building Regulations are separate issue,  concerned only with construction, so you need to check if the dimensions you propose need it or not. Ring them if unsure.

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone, 

I have just been reading this and it seems a bit excessive for what I want to achieve. I abandoned the Idea with a veranda and now wonder what if I build some pergola with a decking underneath? It is less than 30 sq meters and will not be attached to the house. The road is only to the front of the house and there is a driveway to one side of the thing I want to build and a neighbour to the other. If I make it around below 3m maximum height it should be fine? What if I attach it to the house?
My main goal is to have a bit of a dry area in the garden during wet times. 

Under Planning and if you have PD rights, it would need to meet the rules for (Class E) outbuildings…

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/outbuildings/planning-permission

Under Building Regulations and to be exempt, the internal floor area should not exceed 30sq.m.

So, attached to the house would be deemed as an extension. Detached from the house would be deemed as an outbuilding.

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

Perhaps a screened patio area and a wall mounted retractable awning would give you a dry space without involving the planning police?

Which more than likely come under the definition of a verandah and would technically require Planning.

Planning rules state that structures which do not need planning permission must not have verandas, raised platforms, or balconies. The regulations define a veranda as any platform that is raised above 300mm from the ground. It is, therefore, difficult to build a veranda which does not require planning permission.

so, if not raised above 300mm it is not a veranda 🤷‍♂️

Just goes to show conflicting info on the web, however, what if you leave a small gap and build a pergola 🤷‍♂️

Is a pergola a veranda?

What is the Difference Between a Pergola & Veranda?

The difference between pergolas and verandas is that the pergola is a freestanding structure which can be added to any outdoor space. Verandas must be attached to your home.

Therefore info on this web site  is wrong (like I posted above)

We had a raised deck and wind out canopy from the wall at our previous house, installed there 20 years ago without PP.

I guess I just "got away with it"?

So if your deck and canopy were a few mm gap between it and the house, and it complied with the permitted development rules for a garden building would it comply?

Unless you have vindictive nosy neighbours I would just do it and take the flack if any came.

• Like 2

For my own knowledge I have been looking into this and it’s odd that a rear extension is allowed up to 3m in depth but not a veranda 🤷‍♂️. Also planning portal talks about “half the width of the original house but in this looks to be ok for the full width of the house (B), am I going senile. (Don’t answer that)

image.jpeg.9f5f6ef66a27015d5c3e87b13449e619.jpeg

image.jpeg

@joe90 I personally wouldn’t rely on any rules or regulations posted on third party websites. The Planning Portal or official Government sites should be those cross referenced with.

A pergola is usually detached and to be exempt from Planning, would need to meet the PD rules for outbuildings. It’s a different story for verandahs. Just because they require Planning does not mean they’re likes to be refused. Also… if you were to apply the PD rules for extensions to a verandah, it will not be easy to utilise similar materials.

The example you referred to only shows an extension coming off the rear wall. If it extended to the side (as well as the rear), then it would fail as the resulting width would be more than 50%.

Edited by DevilDamo

9 hours ago, joe90 said:

True, but how do these companies get away with posting stuff that’s not true 🤷‍♂️

They’re not governed by anybody. Unfortunately, the buck lies with the homeowner to check and make sure they seek the relevant approvals. It’s the same with some garage conversion and loft conversion companies. Many do refer to the PD rules but you’ll also find the majority don’t mention the possibility of Article 4 Directions.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2024 at 18:07, DevilDamo said:

Which more than likely come under the definition of a verandah and would technically require Planning.

If that were the case, then plonking a garden table with a parasol on a patio with a few potted plants down the sides would become a semi enclosed usable space. An awning over a paved patio area that was neither raised nor permanently semi enclosed would not be a verandah. Maybe if you had an awning between two fencing panels, you could call it an extension under PD?!

The more I learn about planning regulations, the less I like. As with a lot of things that were started with good intentions, it's become an industry for its own perpetuation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The more I learn about planning regulations, the less I like. As with a lot of things that were started with good intentions, it's become an industry for its own perpetuation.

+1, plus who the feck is going to notice.

On 25/06/2024 at 09:44, recognized said:

Hello Everyone, 

I have just been reading this and it seems a bit excessive for what I want to achieve. I abandoned the Idea with a veranda and now wonder what if I build some pergola with a decking underneath? It is less than 30 sq meters and will not be attached to the house. The road is only to the front of the house and there is a driveway to one side of the thing I want to build and a neighbour to the other. If I make it around below 3m maximum height it should be fine? What if I attach it to the house?
My main goal is to have a bit of a dry area in the garden during wet times. 

The rules are generally easier for outbuildings than extensions. 

Summary...

Planning: You can have any size outbuilding provided you don't build over more than half the area or the garden. Outbuildings must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of 4 metres with a dual pitched roof, or 3 metres in any other case. If the outbuilding is within 2 metres of the property boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height.  Decking or raised platforms must be under 300mm.

Building Regs: Between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval, providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation, and is at least one metre from any boundary. Any mains electrics will need to be done by a qualified Electrician who should notify Building Control as part of the process (check and ask for copies). If you build an outbuilding within 1m of your house the planners can try and argue its effectively an extension. How likely they are to do that depends on how "bad" they think it is in planning terms.  

The planners don't normally go looking for minor breaches, problems typically start with a neighbour complains and then they feel obliged to check you have net the rules.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

That what I actually meant with "its vogue about it" in a nutshell I just want to something of similar size like on the picture minus pergola thing beside it and roof of that corrugated plastic that you usually seen used in these applications. Mine is picture 3 (satellite). 

As I understand pergola becomes a veranda as soon as you attach it to the house? What about the decking under 300mm?   

234243243.JPG

12123124124.JPG

ergegegerg.JPG