Can you do a contemporary self-build on a budget?

24 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Space always finds a use .

A gym , that cinema type lounge , swimming pool etc etc ( ignoring budget of course )

My only regret was only going 1 level underground in hind sight I would have gone 2 levels underground. But finances and ‘risk’ were against me .

Gym in man cave at bottom of garden. 
Long throw 3D projector in top kitchen cupboard projecting onto wall of snug area next to woodburner. 
400m from swimming pool, so better for the environment to use that or indeed the river which is even closer. 

Still no snooker table though. 

And yes we use up spare space, we fill it with tat that we should not be keeping!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G and J said:

Actually, I think I should recuse myself for being unbelievably off topic. 

Sorry!

I don’t think it is off topic, see I prefer “cottage” not “contemporary “ but it would be boring if we were all the same. I would argue mine is not a boring “box” (although nearly square). It was brilliant to live in, ticked all my boxes and cost very little to run, what’s not to like (shame the judge took it from me 🤯) any way this was my “boring box”…..

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, G and J said:

Gym in man cave at bottom of garden. 
Long throw 3D projector in top kitchen cupboard projecting onto wall of snug area next to woodburner. 
400m from swimming pool, so better for the environment to use that or indeed the river which is even closer. 

Still no snooker table though. 

And yes we use up spare space, we fill it with tat that we should not be keeping!

Excellent ! Photos when done please .

It also depends on what you mean by contemporary vs traditional vs modern. The architects will tell you contemporary and modern are very different and likely very different to what the average layperson thinks of them. Plus you could have a more traditional exterior look but with a very contemporary or modern interior using modern building materials and building approach. 

6 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Plus you could have a more traditional exterior look but with a very contemporary or modern interior using modern building materials and building approach.

Absolutely this. If we get planning permission on our plot, it is in the grounds of a country estate with a couple of Grade II listed properties and a handful of cottages and converted barns nearby. We'll almost certainly end up with a more traditional exterior look but it will have a very modern interior and will be a timber frame Passivhaus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I don’t think it is off topic, see I prefer “cottage” not “contemporary “ but it would be boring if we were all the same. I would argue mine is not a boring “box” (although nearly square). It was brilliant to live in, ticked all my boxes and cost very little to run, what’s not to like (shame the judge took it from me 🤯) any way this was my “boring box”…..

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

nice brickwork.

tiny windows though ?

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

tiny windows though ?

Plus every room except bathrooms were dual aspect and splayed reveals reflected light into the rooms without the losses of larger windows.