Paint for post bases

Hi All,

I hope you are well.

I have a number of these galvanised post bases, I think I should preserve it as the rust is going to pop up on some of these welds soonish.
What paint (multiple coats should I put on it)?
Also should it be spray or slap it with a paintbrush?
I can see Hammerite but still not sure which one as there are "direct to rust" ones.
Cheers

I am a big fan of Hammerite direct to rust paint, several coats will be bomb proof (but not the “modern” water based ones that I found to be thin and watery!!!.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I am a big fan of Hammerite direct to rust paint, several coats will be bomb proof (but not the “modern” water based ones that I found to be thin and watery!!!.)

Do you mean Hammerite is no longer solvent but water based paint?

2 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

have a number of these galvanised post bases

If they were galvanised (hot dip) after welding they should be good for about 50 years. That why they are galvanised. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

If they were galvanised (hot dip) after welding they should be good for about 50 years. That why they are galvanised. 

Believe it or not but on galvanised one I see rust forming in one spot. I also have one base that supposed to be stainless steel and it also developed rust.
These were exposed to elements for about 3 weeks.

Edited by JohnBishop

13 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

Believe it or not but on galvanised one of them I see rust forming in one spot. I also have one base that supposed to be stainless steel and it also developed rust.
These were exposed to elements for about 3 weeks.

Good chance they are not actually galvanised, it could be just zinc electroplating (which us cheap rubbish and too thin). If it was galvanised you actually need an etching primer or an epoxy based Paint, to get the paint to stick on. But I would use Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray. Its 93% pure zinc coating applies a galvanized film with cathodic protection, which resists rusts, scratches and chips. It can go straight on zinc coating etc.

Apply 3 to 4 heavy coats. Nothing else needed.

Your stainless steel ones will rust if they used tools that were also used on carbon steel or have carbon steel grinding splatter on them or they used the wrong filler wire on the welds. Spray them in the cold galvanise spray also.

Edited by JohnMo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

Do you mean Hammerite is no longer solvent but water based paint?

It’s still available in places like EBay but their new “eco water based” stuff is crap in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Good chance they are not actually galvanised, it could be just zinc electroplating (which us cheap rubbish and too thin). If it was galvanised you actually need an etching primer or an epoxy based Paint, to get the paint to stick on. But I would use Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray. Its 93% pure zinc coating applies a galvanized film with cathodic protection, which resists rusts, scratches and chips. It can go straight on zinc coating etc.

Apply 3 to 4 heavy coats. Nothing else needed.

Your stainless steel ones will rust if they used tools that were also used on carbon steel or have carbon steel grinding splatter on them or they used the wrong filler wire on the welds. Spray them in the cold galvanise spray also.

Here it is all 3 different bases:
The first one (grey) was the most expensive and supposed to be stainless steel but you can see the rust coming up where the cuts are.
The next two (silvery) supposed to be galvanised but one already has the rust in the corners.
The 3rd one is the one I am going to use, the cheapest of all, it hasn't been exposed to elements to show any rust yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by JohnBishop

45 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

And if you can, get double dipped. Single dipped has a matter finish and double a slightly shinier finish and worth the few extra pennies.

I also suspect that the stainless is 304 rather than 316, which is usually recommnded for exterior applications: https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/the-difference-between-stainless-steel-304-and-316.html

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2024 at 19:32, SimonD said:

And if you can, get double dipped. Single dipped has a matter finish and double a slightly shinier finish and worth the few extra pennies.

I also suspect that the stainless is 304 rather than 316, which is usually recommnded for exterior applications: https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/the-difference-between-stainless-steel-304-and-316.html

That's awesome. We started with post bases but now we are into metallurgy and I want to open an iron foundry 🙂
They all seem to make it cheap, galvanised does not equal galvanised and 304 does not equal 316.