Cable clips - self adhesive and wrap around?

SimonD

While plasterboard this weekend I've just found a load of problems with my first fix electrical installation, including that despite telling the electricians not to nail through my osb vcl/airtightness layer, that's exactly what they done when they've felt like it and in places I couldn't immediately see, turning some parts into a sieve.

Can anyone recommend some self-adhesive clips I could use on the osb? I need some that can wrap around anything from one 1mm2 cable to up to 6 cables in some places.

Also, are there some better clips than the hammer in ones that I so hate, perhaps that are fixed and then wrap around the cable?

Silly little questions I know but I suspect I could spend hours searching the web otherwise!

Many thanks!

I've used a lot of smaller clips and ties in electronics projects and usually go for makes that use 3M adhesive. They stick OK to metal and plastic but not sure how well they stick to (dusty?) OSB. 

Doesn't really answer your current need, but for anyone reading, I used 50mm service cavity and added a sacrificial strip of osb to the wall so the electrician could pin to their cables if they wanted. Made it thick enough to take the pins and not go through where I didn't want them. Used expanding foam adhesive to stick the osb in place. Used the same method for the plumbing also.

Thought why fight what they will do, as soon as I am out the room, just tell them where the wires have to go.

Osb strip at top of wall for wiring.

Screenshot_2024-06-10-16-13-19-98_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.f598e8d9a188aa11cf997bc62cda3486.jpg

Are you using blown in cellulose? 

If so I wouldn't panic about pin holes. 

In any case I wouldn't worry about nails holes with a nail already in them. 

We had about 600 screws through the airtighess membrane for our battened service cavity and blew 0.31 ACH 

3 hours ago, Temp said:

I've used a lot of smaller clips and ties in electronics projects and usually go for makes that use 3M adhesive. They stick OK to metal and plastic but not sure how well they stick to (dusty?) OSB. 

Thanks, that's my worry. If they used the same acrylic adhesive as airthightness tape, it would be fine.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

So do they need to stick to the OSB or VCL?

OSB as that's performing the vcl and airtightness duties.

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I used 50mm service cavity and added a sacrificial strip of osb to the wall

That's a good call. I used just 25mm service void on the 1st floor.

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Are you using blown in cellulose? 

If so I wouldn't panic about pin holes. 

In any case I wouldn't worry about nails holes with a nail already in them. 

We had about 600 screws through the airtighess membrane for our battened service cavity and blew 0.31 ACH 

I used Thermafleece cosywool for the whole timber framed section - couldn't get a blown cellulose quote for our curved roof when I tried, they'd just price for the walls. It is all wrapped in breather membrane externally with edges taped, so maybe I don't have to worry about it too much.

20 minutes ago, SimonD said:

OSB as that's performing the vcl and airtightness duties.

If you prime the OSB stuff should stick to it better.