Who says Timber Frame buildings don't last!

Visited this place today  - Little Morton Hall! Still up 500 years (ish) later. Spoke to the surveyor who says the tower moves a few mm (13) in a cycle over the year and depending weather, but its not sagging any more than it already had when they started measuring, which they do 3 x a year, 9 years back!

IMG-20240531-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240531-WA0003.jpg

20240531_120302.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, pretty much any old oak frame building you see today will be C16-18th i.e. 200-400 years old. No modern glues, fixings, vapour barriers etc. I’m sure our modern self-builds will last as long, no?

2 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Yeah, pretty much any old oak frame building you see today will be C16-18th i.e. 200-400 years old. No modern glues, fixings, vapour barriers etc. I’m sure our modern self-builds will last as long, no?

only if you can afford 200year old well seasoned oak to build them from

3 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

And lots of survivorship bias. The ones that have survived are the expensive ones that are attractive enough for someone to spend money on to maintain.

(I don't see any reason why a modern stick built house shouldn't last hundreds of years if it is maintained.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...