Daisy chain garden lights

Brian0782

Hi

I have two sets of 3 garden lights as shown in the attached image and 1 singular garden light.

Each set of lights has a mains plug at the end of it. I would like to connect all 7 lights to one circuit by daisy chaining them.

They are all connected via these T connectors: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Junction-Outdoor-Connector-External/dp/B091CJWCLL

My plan is to connect them together via a 2.5mm twin and earth armored cable. I would remove the mains plug as it would be redundant.

My question is the current cable is only twin (live and neutral) but I only have twin and earth armored cable. What would I do with the earth?

Does this sound like a feasible DIY job?

Thanks

20240528_135122.jpg

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

I’d advise to forget it as those lights will almost certainly be junk quality. 

Oh really? How so? 

Edited by Brian0782
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

I’d advise to forget it as those lights will almost certainly be junk quality. 

On what do you base your assumption?

I've had a set of 3 lights up for a few days and so far so good. The app is great and no problems yet.

I did get them for £30 rather than £120 RRP so no major loss if it stops working. 

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

On what do you base your assumption?

22+ years experience of pulling that stuff out to replace with something that will last more than half a British winter. 

3 hours ago, Brian0782 said:

I've had a set of 3 lights up for a few days and so far so good. The app is great and no problems yet.

I did get them for £30 rather than £120 RRP so no major loss if it stops working. 

If you want to carry on using these then I would advise treating them as a temporary installation. 

Plug them into a nearby external socket and leave in situ for the summer period and pack away for winter. 

If you start burying cables/joints or leaving that stuff out all winter I’ll have money on it not lasting more than a year or two before it lets water in and starts tripping your RCD, rusts to bits or just stops working. 

21 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

If you want to carry on using these then I would advise treating them as a temporary installation. 

Plug them into a nearby external socket and leave in situ for the summer period and pack away for winter. 

If you start burying cables/joints or leaving that stuff out all winter I’ll have money on it not lasting more than a year or two before it lets water in and starts tripping your RCD, rusts to bits or just stops working. 

Yes they're connected to an external socket with a spur.

In terms of my above proposal of daisy chaining them - is that feasible 

I'd like to see a layout drawing of the lighting positions to before I suggest another option. 

Personally I prefer a wiska box than the inline connectors, unless it's in an obvious or difficult position. 

It gives you more options to check for problems or alterations.