EV charger - now required?

Hello All - am I correct that an EV charger is now required in any new residential build which has its own parking allocation? This is what I read from the regs, but the builder doesn't think it's true... he's our main contractor. Same builder has just installed two houses with just cabling and no actual charger. The electric installation team seems to be fine either way - we can install cabling for a future fit, or they'll do the EV charger now. We were avoiding it and just doing cabling as we don't have an EV ourselves. However - as I read the regs, we have to?  I've referred to Approved document S for this. I had read there were fines possible for not including a charger and wanted to warn others who are self building in our area. Thanks!

That's my understanding - EV charge point required. The only time you could install ducting or cabling instead is if you can prove the total cost would be in excess of £3600 as I read the regulations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

when did this come into the regs? i didn't put one in for a site approved for BR's in 2021, completed this year.

No we didn’t put one in our previous 

Think 22

• Like 2

Approved Document S..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infrastructure-for-charging-electric-vehicles-approved-document-s

The erection of new residential buildings S1.

(1) A new residential building with associated parking must have access to electric vehicle charge points as provided for in paragraph (2).

(2) The number of associated parking spaces which have access to electric vehicle charge points must be—

(a) the total number of associated parking spaces, where there are fewer associated parking spaces than there are dwellings contained in the residential building; or

(b) the number of associated parking spaces that is equal to the total number of dwellings contained in the residential building, where there are the same number of associated parking spaces as, or more associated parking spaces than, there are dwellings.

(3) Cable routes for electric vehicle charge points must be installed in any associated parking spaces which do not, in accordance with paragraph (2), have an electric vehicle charge point where—

(a) a new residential building has more than 10 associated parking spaces; and

(b) there are more associated parking spaces than there are dwellings contained in the residential building.

Might have to read that a few times to work out how many are needed.

OK I'm so sorry I am useless on here - yet again I find I can't figure out how to reply directly to people who kindly commented on my own post!
To those who said yes, I am correct - I've now been told (architect) that if I started my build prior to the regs (foundations started July 2021) then I do not have to comply with those new regs. My friend Google seems to say I do though. Aargh, please advise as I trust you guys!

"Part S came into force on 15 June 2022. However, it will not apply in relation to building work where a building notice or an initial notice has been given to, or full plans deposited with, a local authority before 15 June 2022, provided that the building work is started before 15 June 2023."

You use the @ sign in your reply, and then the name of the person. As you start to type the name, a popup box will appear and you can select the person you want to respond to. So @Cookie, you're welcome! 😉

• Like 1

I have had to install one car charger and make provision for the installation of 2 more. I got planning through after the June 22 deadline.