Experience….

24 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Yes it can do and you can also get voids. 
However, like every other job done well by professionals it will be fine as they’ll account for this. I had to stop the people insulating our house and do a lot of it myself.  

I guess a big part of self build motivation for us is that it is done right, not necessarily to the standard ‘professional’ quality.  I know I’m picky but I want better and I’m prepared to graft to achieve it.  So I can see me intervening and taking over at times like you did (I’ve done it before!). 

1 hour ago, G and J said:

I guess a big part of self build motivation for us is that it is done right, not necessarily to the standard ‘professional’ quality.  I know I’m picky but I want better and I’m prepared to graft to achieve it.  So I can see me intervening and taking over at times like you did (I’ve done it before!). 

It doesn’t always go down well. You have to carefully recruit open minded builders/ trades etc. A lot don’t know about airtightness detailing.

• Like 1

Comes down to time, will, inclination and money.

Paid to have foundations and built to watertight

Paid to have windows and external doors installed.

Paid to have Ducted Aircon installed, solar panels aswell.

First fix insulating, joinery, metal framing, plumbing, electrics, Mvhr done myself, but it has taken a long time whilst I procrastinate over the best way to proceed and save up enough to pay for materials out of salary.

Will install/commission the ASHP myself.

Going to order the first batch of plasterboards tomorrow, then shift them inside ready to start fixing to the mf ceilings.

D&D plaster boarding and Skimming, someone else can do that, scares me that I wont get the plasterboarding right plumb and flat

Tiling the ground floor, again someone else can do that.

Reckon I'll do everything else apart from the kitchen worktops tbh

It's just a big 3d jigsaw really, just the parts and skills are a bit of an unknown!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Yes it can do and you can also get voids. 
However, like every other job done well by professionals it will be fine as they’ll account for this. I had to stop the people insulating our house and do a lot of it myself.

another + for sips there are no voids  and Iwould have gone that way --but with already having granite walls outdie of frame work --no postive way to gat a good vapour barrier  when erecting 

so they stick built on site and wraped eachsection before it was raised up -

Idid not go for a built kit --cos no way do ibelive they would have got it right  trying to measure the granite walls that were already there 

another fall out with the architect -cos that was the way she wanted to do it 

Edited by scottishjohn