Use of land and it’s impact on future planning permission

Hi, I have secured planning permission for my own self build, the land has been split into separate boundaries however the land is in my family’s ownership. The land that I have secured planning permission on is deemed to be brownfield by the local authority. The land surrounding my plot is riddled with brambles, in an effort to control the brambles I am looking at potentially applying for a CPH to keep a small herd of goats or pigs. Can anyone advise if this could negatively affect my chances of obtaining planning on said land in the future. Would applying for a CPH and keeping pigs/goats on the land immediately change the use to agricultural or greenfield? 

A CPH is a County Parish Holding number issued by the Animal & Plant Health Agency ( APHA) ie the goverment and is a legal requirement to keep farm animals.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I would think that by applying for a CPH you are effectivly establishing a small holding farm.

On 16/05/2024 at 16:22, Lewis88 said:

The land that I have secured planning permission on is deemed to be brownfield by the local authority.

To fit the government definition of "Brownfield" would mean that it is or was occupied by a permanent (non-Agricultural) structure and the curtilage of such. The definition states that it excludes buildings last used for Agriculture.

So, it's all about the permanent structure that is or was on the land. As long as that structure is not used for Agriculture, it shouldn't stop the land being Brownfield.

Just a few goats and they will be classed as pets, esp if of a non commercial breed.

My family has got 4 hardy goats, and they keep the grass down. They are space controlled by virtual fences, and you will need that or the brambles will be a long way down in  their preferred choices.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Just a few goats and they will be classed as pets, esp if of a non commercial breed.

In England, you have to have a CPH number to keep livestock, even if they are only pets. Don't know about Scotland or Wales.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-county-parish-holding-cph-number

• Like 1

The issue seems to be that by using goats to control the weeds the land may somehow lose it's brownfield status and become classed as agricultural (or any of the other uses excluded from the brownfield definition). I am assuming that the land is on the Council's brownfield register and they are meant to update it every year (but probably in the same way as they are meant to maintain the roads). I can't see that using a small number of goats/pigs as environmentally sound land maintenance is going to make the Council think this is now a viable agricultural unit or a playing field, or domestic garden etc etc and should be removed from the register.

Hi everyone, sorry forgot to keep this updated. I’ve no idea why the council classed my plot as brownfield. My plot is a segment of 3 acres of very hilly land. We used to keep horses on it but that was about 20+ years ago.  As kandmitchell has stated I’m worried that by applying for a CPH licence it would automatically change the class of land to greenfield. Would a plot classed as greenfield be any more problematic to obtain planning permission?