Changes during build

had full planning for a side extension, we dug footings, put the steel and knocked main side wall out. Due to problems we now want to stop and put the original wall back to how it originally was in first place.

Building control have signed footings and steel off already, can we just simply go ahead and build the original wall back without new planning exactly where it was in first place? Do I need to inform or reapply for permission to do this.

Posted (edited)

I assume you’ll be redesigning the internal layout as the removal of that side wall appeared to be quite crucial and retaining it would impact quite a few rooms?

IMG_1021.jpeg

Edited by DevilDamo

I won't be going ahead and building any of the side rooms in the extension or the garage conversion. The main side wall was knocked out and now I want to put it back to how it originally was. 

None of the extension has actually been built, the block and beam was out in which will now be used as a patio 

44 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Internal alterations do not require Planning. You wouldn’t really need to inform Building Control either, unless there’s now an impact on the means of escape. 

Check this out. Had an application recently where the applicant wanted to rip out previously approved work. Ended up being a structural alteration for which the applicant needed to submit an application to BC. A bit petty but BC insisted an application - and fee - was submitted.

I would speak to BC BC won’t care about applications Only that the work is correct and safe I suspect that BC would ask for an updated Structual Engineers drawing 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@ETC But in the OP’s case, they’re putting back a wall that already has a steel over. So it’s more of an infill as opposed to a structural alteration. 

Edited by DevilDamo
  • Like 1

No you don’t need planning “consent” to abandon a project and return to original. However you could find yourself on the wrong side of BC if the original didn’t comply and you put it back as it was I.e the original foundations would now be deemed insufficient so to reinstate you would need to put in new founds with BC sign off etc.

11 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

@ETC But in the OP’s case, they’re putting back a wall that already has a steel over. So it’s more of an infill as opposed to a structural alteration. 

I don’t disagree. All I’m saying is that I am aware that BC may wish to get involved.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vik2001 said:

Not building anything, just will have to build the original wall back up to bc standards.

Has there been a fall out with the architect and/or builder or has your budget been blown out of the window?

On 16/05/2024 at 07:42, markc said:

No you don’t need planning “consent” to abandon a project and return to original. However you could find yourself on the wrong side of BC if the original didn’t comply and you put it back as it was I.e the original foundations would now be deemed insufficient so to reinstate you would need to put in new founds with BC sign off etc.

This is the problem I have, if I put in 90mm insulation the new wall won't tie in with existing, as it will come out to thick. So what can I do?

Just speak to BC and tell them you’re no longer going ahead and are wanting to re-instate the wall. I can’t see them being that difficult in wanting to see a new wall that complies with current regulations.

10 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Just speak to BC and tell them you’re no longer going ahead and are wanting to re-instate the wall. I can’t see them being that difficult in wanting to see a new wall that complies with current regulations.

They told me as its a new wall being built and not existing it's needs to confer to current standards, along with any new windows...

I don’t know if you’re doing this on purpose as a bit of a wind up. If new builders will be taking over, why put it up anyway? If you’re wanting temporary shuttering from the elements, erect a temporary stud wall. 

Posted (edited)

What's happened is I started work with a builder who's the neighbour. Gave him cash as he wanted to be paid like this. 

Now the foundations have been laid but he started building a block n beam floor which turned out all wrong, not correct height etc. The brick work hasn't started above dpc.

Lost money on job, to expensive for me to switch builders.  The main wall of side of house was knocked out to make entrance into new extension. Neighbour is also causing me grief wanting a party wall if I continue and wants surveyors involved. If I dont do this he said he will get solicitors involved to put a injunction against build Incase it effects the foundations of his house.

My only option is to try and put the main wall back but the old wall didn't have cavity. The new wall if rebuilt has to have insulation 90mm. I'm worried it will bring the wall out in wrong place, or the foundations cause a problem as the block n beam was dug in which I will have to take out first.

Dnt know what to do asbits mentally stressing me out. Helppp

Edited by vik2001

Get in contact with a PWS and ask them to assist you in serving him with an injunction. After all, you’ve stopped building… he hasn’t. If he’s wanting to be difficult, so can you.

I can’t believe BC are asking for a current and compliant wall to be put back in the position of the existing. Primarily because you’ve stopped and are no longer proceeding with the works. If however BC are insisting on this compliant wall, then you can do that with a timber stud/frame wall. You could render or just clad the external face as opposed to utilising brick as brick is more likely to make the overall thickness worse.

You need to speak to and engage a professional. It’s too detailed and complex for A.N.Other to get involved in. This could turn legal.

4 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Get in contact with a PWS and ask them to assist you in serving him with an injunction. After all, you’ve stopped building… he hasn’t. If he’s wanting to be difficult, so can you.

I can’t believe BC are asking for a current and compliant wall to be put back in the position of the existing. Primarily because you’ve stopped and are no longer proceeding with the works. If however BC are insisting on this compliant wall, then you can do that with a timber stud/frame wall. You could render or just clad the external face as opposed to utilising brick as brick is more likely to make the overall thickness worse.

You need to speak to and engage a professional. It’s too detailed and complex for A.N.Other to get involved in. This could turn legal.

@Devildamo any chance I can have a phone conversation with you pls...

It isn’t something I really want to get involved in, especially from my business/company point of view. You’d be better off reaching out to a local Party Wall Surveyor and sooner rather than later.